Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple circuit board ?

1. Jun 6, 2010 #1
    (incase you are wondering I am not educated but have small mechanical know how) but I don't fully know how circuits behave. I have these hair clippers that seemed to blow a resister. It is a grey tube with a green stipe on one end and a gold stripe on the other. It is difinitely fried. I must get my hair clippers working again (without the purchase of a whole new kit). So do you think you can help me!

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 6, 2010 #2
    Hi 120Rob
    Please tell us more:
    what voltage are the clippers run at?
    did a nasty smell come from the clippers, hot and rich and toxic-smelling?
    Please tell us how the clippers died, and perhaps we can tell you what may have gone wrong.

Good luck

Last edited: Jun 6, 2010
  4. Jun 28, 2010 #3
    On the back of the razor it says,
    120v AC 60Hz 5W
    And yes, rich toxic smell came from razor when it quit working. I think I might have gotten it wet on the inside of the clippers.

5. Jun 30, 2010 #4
    Couple of things: First, the blown resistor may or may not be the root cause problem. It's possible that it sacrificed itself to protect whatever the true problem source was. So, you may replace this and maybe not fix the problem.

There should be more stripes on the resistor. These may be not identifiable due to scorch marks. The first green means "2". the last gold bar means "+/- 10%" and is the tolerance for the accuracy of the resistor value. You need two more bars from the first green end which are the next value for resistor (e.g. another green would, with the first then mean 22) and the next bar is 'power of ten' (which makes it a 2.2 ohm, or 22, or 2.2Kohm, etc. resistor). You can find the color code list with a simple web search.

Then there is the power handling level of the resistor (e.g. 1/4 watt, 1/2 watt, etc.). Look in Radio Shack (what few parts remain) for something of similar physical size and read off the wattage level for guidance.

6. Jul 2, 2010 #5
    Correction to the last reply. As someone pointed out (graciously in private), green is 5 (not 2 -- duh).

In fact everything was wrong -- Gold is 5%

Here's a link better than my memory: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronic_color_code

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook