Simple differential eq'n problem, check my answer please

In summary: I got the same y(1) ≈10. The simple iterative method you applied is quite poor, you have to use very small Δt-s to get near to the real solution. With Δt=0.01 it would be much better. But there are more advanced methods for numerical solution of differential equations, Runge-Kutta method, for example. All of them involve lot of computations, so you need a program to do them.
nchin

Homework Statement

dy/dt=2y+3, y(0)=0.06, find y(1)= ?, Δt=0.1

Homework Equations

y_k+1 = y_k + Δt*f(t_k, y_k)

The Attempt at a Solution

y_1 = y_0 + Δt*f(t_0, y_0)
y_1 = 0.06 + 0.1*(2(0.06)+3)=0.372

y(1) = 0.372??
this doesn't seem right because I did this on excel and i got around a y(1)~4.00. the margin of error seems way to big. help!

Physics news on Phys.org
nchin said:

Homework Statement

dy/dt=2y+3, y(0)=0.06, find y(1)= ?, Δt=0.1

Homework Equations

y_k+1 = y_k + Δt*f(t_k, y_k)

The Attempt at a Solution

y_1 = y_0 + Δt*f(t_0, y_0)
y_1 = 0.06 + 0.1*(2(0.06)+3)=0.372

y(1) = 0.372??
this doesn't seem right because I did this on excel and i got around a y(1)~4.00. the margin of error seems way to big. help!

You did the first step of iteration only, and calculated y(0.1). Repeat it nine more times. (But it will be a very poor approximation of y(1).)ehild

ehild said:
You did the first step of iteration only, and calculated y(0.1). Repeat it nine more times. (But it will be a very poor approximation of y(1).)

ehild

is there any way of solving y(1) without doing it nine more times? because my next homework problems has step size 0.01...

Use a spreadsheet.

my teacher wants me to compare my approx value with my the spreadsheet value. I was wondering if there was a fast shortcut to calculate by hand y(1) with step sizes like 0.1 or .01? or is the only way to do it is one by one until i reach value y(1)?

nchin said:
is there any way of solving y(1) without doing it nine more times? because my next homework problems has step size 0.01...

It is easy to solve the differential equation by an exact way. If you consider y as the independent variable, dt/dy = 1/(2y+3). If the derivative of a function f(y) is 1/(2y+3), what is the function?

t=(1/2) ln|2y+3| + C, y= Ae2t -1.5, with the initial condition, y=1.56e2t -1.5

ehild

ehild said:
It is easy to solve the differential equation by an exact way. If you consider y as the independent variable, dt/dy = 1/(2y+3). If the derivative of a function f(y) is 1/(2y+3), what is the function?

t=(1/2) ln|2y+3| + C, y= Ae2t -1.5, with the initial condition, y=1.56e2t -1.5

ehild

oooh i actually did do that but I thought I was wrong because my approx value was y(1)=10.0269, which is way different from the excel value of ~4.00. are the error margins usually this big?

what did you make that A variable equal to?

nchin said:
oooh i actually did do that but I thought I was wrong because my approx value was y(1)=10.0269, which is way different from the excel value of ~4.00. are the error margins usually this big?

I got the same y(1) ≈10. The simple iterative method you applied is quite poor, you have to use very small Δt-s to get near to the real solution. With Δt=0.01 it would be much better. But there are more advanced methods for numerical solution of differential equations, Runge-Kutta method, for example. All of them involve lot of computations, so you need a program to do them.

ehild

Last edited:
Likes 1 person

1. What is a simple differential equation?

A simple differential equation is a mathematical equation that relates the rate of change of a variable to the value of the variable itself. It usually involves one or more derivatives of the variable and is used to model real-life situations in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

2. How do you solve a simple differential equation?

To solve a simple differential equation, you need to find the function that satisfies the equation. This can be done by using various techniques such as separation of variables, substitution, or integrating factors. You may also need to apply initial or boundary conditions to determine the specific solution.

3. What is the purpose of checking the answer to a simple differential equation?

Checking the answer to a simple differential equation is important to ensure that the solution obtained is correct. This involves substituting the solution back into the original equation and verifying that it satisfies the equation. It also helps to identify any errors made during the solving process.

4. Can you provide an example of a simple differential equation problem?

Sure, an example of a simple differential equation problem is: y' = x + y. The solution to this equation is y = Cex - x, where C is a constant. To check the answer, we substitute y = Cex - x back into the equation and see if it satisfies the equation: y' = Cex - 1 + Cex - x = x + Cex - x = x + y.

5. What are some applications of simple differential equations?

Simple differential equations have numerous applications in various fields such as physics, engineering, economics, biology, and chemistry. They are used to model and analyze real-life phenomena such as population growth, chemical reactions, fluid flow, and electrical circuits. They are also essential in understanding and predicting natural and man-made processes.