Solving a Friction-Constrained Motion Problem

In summary, the block slides on a frictionless table with an initial velocity. The coefficient of friction between the block and the table is mu, and the radial and tangential forces are equal. The radial force is N^\prime, and the tangential force is m a_\theta.
Buffu

Homework Statement

A block of mass m slides on a frictionless table, It is constrained to move inside a ring of radius ##l## which is fixed to the table. At ##t = 0## the block is moving along the inside of the ring with velocity ##v_0##. The coefficient of friction between the bock and ring is ##\mu##, Find the veloctiy of the block at later times.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
Forces due to the ring are ##N^\prime## and ##F_f##

Since in polar coordinates ##\vec a = (\ddot r - r \dot \theta^2)\hat r + \hat\theta(r\ddot\theta + 2\dot r \dot \theta)##

And we know ##r## is constant,

So,
##\vec a = -r\dot \theta^2 \hat r + r\ddot \theta \hat \theta##

Tangential forces are ##m a_\theta## and ##F_f##

So, ##F## and ##F_f##, where ##F## is some forces driving the block forward against friction,

Which gives, ##F - F_f = Mr \ddot \theta = Ml\ddot \theta## ---- (1)

Radial force is ##N^\prime##

##N^\prime = Mr\ddot \theta^2 = Ml\ddot \theta^2##

Since ##N^\prime \mu = F_f##,

Substituting for ##N^prime## in (1)

##F = Ml \ddot \theta + Ml\dot\theta^2 \mu##

What should I do now ? I know I need to solve a DE but I don't how to get that DE.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Buffu said:
Tangential forces are ##m a_\theta## and ##Ff##

So, ##F## and ##F_f##, where ##F## is some forces driving the block forward against friction,

What a piece of crap I wrote here, does not make any sense.

What I actually meant was that tangential forces are ##F## and ##F_f## not ##a_\theta## and ##F## is some forces against friction.

I should not write late in night :). Sorry for inconvenience.

Buffu said:
Forces due to the ring are ##N^\prime## and ##F_f##
OK
##\vec a = -r\dot \theta^2 \hat r + r\ddot \theta \hat \theta##
OK

Tangential forces are ##m a_\theta## and ##F_f##
As you noted in your second post, ##ma_\theta## is not a force.

So, ##F## and ##F_f##, where ##F## is some forces driving the block forward against friction
The problem does not mention any force driving the block forward. I believe you are to assume that only the friction force acts in the tangential direction.

Radial force is ##N^\prime##

##N^\prime = Mr\ddot \theta^2 = Ml\ddot \theta^2##
Why the double-dot on ##\theta##?

##F = Ml \ddot \theta + Ml\dot\theta^2 \mu##
Once you take care of the the fact that there is no "driving force" ##F##, you will have your DE. You might try rewriting the equation in terms of the angular velocity ##\omega = \dot{\theta}##.

Likes Buffu
TSny said:
OK
OK

As you noted in your second post, ##ma_\theta## is not a force.

The problem does not mention any force driving the block forward. I believe you are to assume that only the friction force acts in the tangential direction.

Why the double-dot on ##\theta##?

Once you take care of the the fact that there is no "driving force" ##F##, you will have your DE. You might try rewriting the equation in terms of the angular velocity ##\omega = \dot{\theta}##.

One question still remains is that how it is going to move without a driving force ?

Buffu said:
One question still remains is that how it is going to move without a driving force ?
The block starts with an initial velocity. It is similar to a block sliding on a table. You give the block an initial velocity and then let friction bring it to rest. In your problem, you will see how long it takes for the block to come to rest.

TSny said:
The block starts with an initial velocity. It is similar to a block sliding on a table. You give the block an initial velocity and then let friction bring it to rest. In your problem, you will see how long it takes for the block to come to rest.
Ok I completed it as you told.

I got,

##F_f = - Ml \ddot \theta \iff N^\prime = -Ml\ddot \theta \iff \mu l\dot \theta^2 M = -Ml\ddot \theta^2 = \iff \mu \omega^2 = -\dot\omega ##

Which gives ##\displaystyle \int^t_0 \mu dt = -\int^\omega_{\omega_0} {1 \over \omega^2} d\omega \iff \mu t = \left[\frac1\omega - \frac1\omega_0 \right]##

Now I susbtitute ##\omega_0 = v_0/l## and ##\omega = v/l## to get ##v_0 = \dfrac{v_0}{\dfrac{v_0 \mu t}{l} + 1}##.

Is this substitution statisfied ?

The second part of question is to find the position of the block at some other time, to do this I integrate the velocity expression that I just found with time, right ?

Last edited:
That all looks good.

TSny said:
That all looks good.
:smile::smile:

1. What is a friction-constrained motion problem?

A friction-constrained motion problem is a type of physics problem that involves finding the motion of an object subject to both friction and other forces. The goal is to determine the object's position, velocity, and acceleration over time while taking into account the friction force that opposes the object's motion.

2. How do you solve a friction-constrained motion problem?

To solve a friction-constrained motion problem, you must first identify all the forces acting on the object, including the friction force. Then, you can use Newton's laws of motion and other kinematic equations to determine the object's motion over time. It is important to note that solving these types of problems often involves breaking the motion into smaller intervals and considering the changing forces at each interval.

3. How does friction affect the motion of an object?

Friction is a force that resists the motion of an object and acts in the opposite direction of the object's motion. It can cause an object to slow down or even come to a complete stop. Friction can also affect the direction of an object's motion, causing it to move in a curved path. In a friction-constrained motion problem, the friction force must be taken into account when determining the object's motion.

4. Can friction ever be beneficial in a motion problem?

Yes, friction can sometimes be beneficial in a motion problem. For example, in situations where an object needs to be slowed down or stopped, friction can help achieve this. In some cases, friction can also provide stability to an object's motion, such as when a car is driving around a curve. However, in most cases, friction is a force that needs to be overcome in order for an object to maintain its desired motion.

5. What are some real-life examples of friction-constrained motion problems?

There are many real-life examples of friction-constrained motion problems, including a car driving on a road, a person sliding down a slide, or a hockey puck sliding on ice. In each of these situations, the object is subject to both friction and other forces, and its motion is affected by the friction force. These types of problems are also commonly encountered in engineering and design, such as when designing a vehicle or a roller coaster.