Solving a Simple Diff. Eq: Block in a Frictionless Ring

In summary: Except, θ is usually used for the angular position of the rotating object. So it is really θ(t) or θ(t, θ0, ω0) depending on what you want to convey.In summary, the problem involves finding the velocity of a block of mass ##m## that slides on a frictionless table constrained to move inside a ring of radius ##l##. The block starts at t = 0 with a tangential velocity ##v_0## and has a coefficient of friction ##\mu## with the ring. The forces on the block are identified and using polar coordinates, we find a nonlinear differential equation in ω. By substituting ω = dθ/dt, we can
Mr Davis 97

Homework Statement

This problem involves solving a simple differential equation. A block of mass ##m## slides on a frictionless table. It is constrained to move inside a ring of radius ##l## that is fixed to the table. At t = 0, the block is moving along the inside of the ring (in the tangential direction) with velocity ##v_0##. The coefficient of friction between the block and the ring is ##\mu##. Find the velocity of the block at later times

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So we start by simply identifying the forces on the body in the plane of rotation (since the normal force on the table cancels with gravitational force). So we have the normal force on the block from the ring, and we have the frictional force between the block and the ring. Using polar coordinates, we find that

In the radial direction:
##-N_r = m(\ddot{r} - r \dot{\theta}^2)##
##\ddot{r} = 0##
Thus
##N_r = mr \dot{\theta}^2##

In the tangential direction:
##-f_{friction} = m(r \ddot{\theta} + 2 \dot{r} \dot{\theta})##
##\dot{r} = 0##
Thus
##f = -mr \ddot{\theta}##

Since we have kinetic friction, ##f = \mu_k N_r##

So

##\mu m r \dot{\theta}^2 = mr \ddot{\theta}##

##\ddot{\theta} + \mu \dot{\theta}^2 = 0##However, this is a nonlinear differential equation, so it can't be the answer. What am I doing wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Suppose you let ω = dθ/dt. Substitute and get a diff. eq. in ω. Can you solve that one first?

kuruman said:
Suppose you let ω = dθ/dt. Substitute and get a diff. eq. in ω. Can you solve that one first?
So if I do as you say, would I get ##\displaystyle \frac{1}{\omega} - \frac{1}{\omega_0} = -\mu t##? To get velocity explicitly would I make the substitution ##\omega = \frac{v}{r}##?

Yep.

kuruman said:
Yep.
Cool, thanks! I made a big deal out of nothing

kuruman said:
Yep.
One more thing, if I find ##\theta##, which I found to be ##\displaystyle \frac{1}{\mu} \ln|\mu t + \frac{1}{\omega_0}|##, how would I then find the position for any time t?

What position are you talking about? Here, the mass is going around in a circle therefore the only position that makes sense is the angular position as a function of time. That's θ(t) which you have attempted to find. I say "attempted" because your expression is incorrect. The argument of the logarithm must be dimensionless and yours is not.

Last edited:
##\displaystyle -\frac{1}{\omega} + \frac{1}{\omega_0} = -\mu t##
##\displaystyle \frac{1}{\omega} = \mu t + \frac{1}{\omega_0}##
##\displaystyle \omega = \frac{1}{\mu t + \frac{1}{\omega_0}}##
##\displaystyle \frac{d \theta}{dt} = \frac{1}{\mu t + \frac{1}{\omega_0}}##
##\displaystyle \int_{\theta_0}^{\theta} d \theta = \int_0^t \frac{1}{\mu t + \frac{1}{\omega_0}} dt##
##\displaystyle \theta - \theta_0 = \frac{1}{\mu} \ln|\mu t + \frac{1}{\omega_0}|##

What am I doing wrong?

Forget the absolute value of the argument of the log. Just evaluate the log at the upper limit and subtract from it the log evaluated at the lower limit. Then observe that the difference of the two logs is the log of the ratio of the arguments, a dimensionless quantity.

Can't believe I didn't see that. So the answer would be ##\theta = ln(1 + \omega_0 \mu t)##?

It would be that.

1. What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that relates a function with its derivatives. It is used to describe rates of change in various scientific fields, such as physics, engineering, and economics.

2. How do you solve a simple differential equation?

To solve a simple differential equation, you need to integrate both sides of the equation with respect to the variable. The solution will then be the function that satisfies the equation.

3. What does it mean to have a block in a frictionless ring?

Having a block in a frictionless ring means that the block is able to move freely around the ring without any resistance or friction. This allows for the block to maintain its velocity and direction.

4. Why is it important to solve a simple differential equation for a block in a frictionless ring?

Solving a simple differential equation for a block in a frictionless ring allows us to understand the motion of the block and predict its future position and velocity. This is important in studying physical systems and designing mechanical systems.

5. What are some real-life applications of solving a simple differential equation for a block in a frictionless ring?

Some real-life applications include analyzing the motion of a satellite in orbit, understanding the behavior of a pendulum, and designing roller coasters or other amusement park rides. It is also used in fields such as fluid dynamics, electromagnetism, and quantum mechanics.