1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple Differential Equation

1. Mar 13, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    "Solve this differential equation algebraically, subject to the initial condition that [tex]y=10[/tex] at [tex]t=0[/tex]

2. Relevant equations
    [tex]\frac{dy}{dt} = 2y*\frac{1000-y}{1000}[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    I first reduced the right side to [tex]\frac{-y^2}{500} + 2y[/tex]
    After that I separated the variables, but I don't know how to integrate that function.
    Can anyone point me in the right step?
    [tex]\int \frac {dy}{\frac{-y^2}{500}+2y}[/tex]

Last edited: Mar 13, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 13, 2010 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Have you done any partial fractions recently? You can write the integrand as A/(y)+B/(1000-y). You just need to find A and B.

4. Mar 13, 2010 #3
    I am in fact working on the section over partial fractions. Thank you very much Dick. I see how partial fractions plays into this. Might I ask how you got [tex]\frac{A}{y} + \frac{B}{1000-y}[/tex]

I'm having trouble seeing the partial fractions. Most of them I have worked with I use the shortcut to Heaviside's Method. Many have been in the form of [tex]\int \frac {Linear}{Quadratic}[/tex]

Last edited: Mar 13, 2010
  5. Mar 13, 2010 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

y and (1000-y) were the factors of your original expression before you multiplied it out. You didn't really want to do that.

6. Mar 13, 2010 #5
    OK. So what would be on the left-hand side of the equal sign?
    [tex]x=\frac{A}{y}+\frac{B}{1000-y}[/tex]

I understand you multiply the left side by one of the denominators on the right side and then plug in the x value that would have zeroed the denominator. I just don't know what goes on the left side. Is it the [tex]\frac{dy}{dt}[/tex]?

7. Mar 13, 2010 #6
    Nevermind. My poor algebra skills were my downfall this time. I figured out that it's [tex]\int \frac{-500}{y(y-1000)} [/tex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook