Solving Simple Differential Equations: Particle Velocity and Position

In summary, the author is trying to solve a differential equation, but is stuck. They have found that if they solve for v using the equation x(t) = x0 + (vo/b) (1 - e^-bt), v and t can be separated, and then the acceleration can be found using the equation a(t) = -b vo e^-bt.
resurgance2001

Homework Statement

Given that a particle has an initial velocity v0 and then undergoes an acceleration a = - bv. , where b is a constant, obtain an expression for v = v(t) and x = x (t) [/B]

Homework Equations

Not sure

The Attempt at a Solution

If I integrate a = - b v

I think I get v + vo = - b x + xo

But then I get stuck

The book actually gives the answer. x(t) = xo + (vo/b) (1 - e^-bt)

But I can't figure out how they got to that. The book kind of assumes that one can solve this and I should be able to but I am stuck. Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
resurgance2001 said:

Homework Statement

Given that a particle has an initial velocity v0 and then undergoes an acceleration a = - bv. , where b is a constant, obtain an expression for v = v(t) and x = x (t) [/B]

Homework Equations

Not sure

The Attempt at a Solution

If I integrate a = - b v

I think I get v + vo = - b x + xo

But then I get stuck

The book actually gives the answer. x(t) = xo + (vo/b) (1 - e^-bt)

But I can't figure out how they got to that. The book kind of assumes that one can solve this and I should be able to but I am stuck. Thanks

If you knew the velocity function ##v(t)##, how would you get the acceleration ##a = a(t)##? So, if you are told that ##a = -b v## with constant ##b##, what sort of equation do you get?

If you know the velocity, you can get the acceleration by differenting. dv/dt = - b v ??

So v (t) = - 1/b dv/dt ?

Thanks Ray -

If my function for v(t) is correct, I try integrating this to get x.

I starting with v(t) = - 1/b dv/dt

Integrating both sides, I get

x(t) + xo = -1/b v (t) + v0.

But I know this is incorrect. I can't see where the e^-bt. In their answer comes from. Thanks

resurgance2001 said:
If my function for v(t) is correct, I try integrating this to get x.

I starting with v(t) = - 1/b dv/dt

Integrating both sides, I get

x(t) + xo = -1/b v (t) + v0.

But I know this is incorrect. I can't see where the e^-bt. In their answer comes from. Thanks

It's not incorrect, but you've expressed v in terms of x, not in terms of t. Although, you've been careless with x0 and v0.

If you try ##v(t) = e^{-bt}## you'll find it satifies your equation.

To get v(t) you need to separate v and t before you integrate.

Thanks Perok.

I think I've got it. At least I can show that the answer they gave is a solution.Starting with the answer they gave:

x(t) = x0 + (vo/b) (1 - e^-bt)

I differentiate this once to get:

v(t) = vo e^-bt

I differentiate this a second time:

a(t) = -b vo e^-bt Substuting for [vo e^-bt ] gives:

a(t) = -bv (t) as required.

So now I can see that it would (theoretically) be possible for me (next time) to solve the problem.

Thanks

resurgance2001 said:
Thanks Perok.

I think I've got it. At least I can show that the answer they gave is a solution.Starting with the answer they gave:

x(t) = x0 + (vo/b) (1 - e^-bt)

I differentiate this once to get:

v(t) = vo e^-bt

I differentiate this a second time:

a(t) = -b vo e^-bt Substuting for [vo e^-bt ] gives:

a(t) = -bv (t) as required.

So now I can see that it would (theoretically) be possible for me (next time) to solve the problem.

Thanks

The DE dv/dt = -bv is among the simplest, and is one of the first you meet in a differential equations course. The solution is easy, because somebody already solved it for us in the past, and it is well documented in just about every textbook: v = const* exp(-b t). The reason is simple: (d/dt) exp(a*t) = a* exp(a*t), from Calculus 101; basically, this is just the exponential derivative (d/dx) exp(x) = exp(x), with a change of variable to x = a*t.

Yes - thanks. I should have got it sooner, but it is about 7 years since I did my course in applied maths and am pretty rusty. Cheers

From your differential equation,
$$\frac{dv}{v}=-bdt$$
Both sides of this equation are exact differentials.

Chet

Hi Chet,

Can you explain a bit more about what you mean when you say that both sides are exact differentials?

Thanks

Peter

resurgance2001 said:
Hi Chet,

Can you explain a bit more about what you mean when you say that both sides are exact differentials?

Thanks

Peter
What is ##\int{\frac{dv}{v}}##?

What is ##\int{dt}##?

Chet

I am not sure. The integral of dV/V, is it
ln V ?

And the integral of dt is t?

So t = lnV

Which seem to make sense given that

V = Vo = e^-bt (I've got to figure out latex!) But I still don't get the term 'exact differentials. Cheers

resurgance2001 said:
ln V ?

So t = lnV

Which seem to make sense given that

V = Vo = e^-bt (I've got to figure out latex!)But I still don't get the term 'exact differentials. Cheers

Given that you simply wrote down the integral of each term, is that not a strong hint of what an exact differential is?

A good example is ##mv\frac{dv}{dt}##

Can you see what that is an (exact) derivative of?

You definitely need to revise derivatives, integration and differentials if you're trying to study DE's.

resurgance2001 said:
ln V ?

So t = lnV

No. Including the constant of integration C, the result should read:

lnv=-bt + C

Inverting this gives:
$$v=e^{(C-bt)}$$

Hope this makes some sense.

Chet

Hi Perok

You wrote:

mvdv/dx and then ask, what is this a derivative of.

This is my attempt:

I start by separating the variables:

mvdv = dx

Then integrating both sides, I get:

ma + vo = t + to

I am not sure if this is what you meant.

Hi Chet

Thanks I get that. I am still stuck though on this new term (at least it is a term that I am unfamiliar with) "exact differential". But don't worry - it's probably not so important right now. The main thing is that I am getting back into doing this maths. Cheers and thanks again.

resurgance2001 said:
Hi Perok

You wrote:

mvdv/dx and then ask, what is this a derivative of.

This is my attempt:

I start by separating the variables:

mvdv = dx

Then integrating both sides, I get:

ma + vo = t + to

I am not sure if this is what you meant.

First, I gave you an expression, not an equation. You've effectively set that expression = 1.

In any case:

##mv\frac{dv}{dt} = \frac{d}{dt}(\frac{1}{2}mv^2)##

So, that expression is the rate of change of Kinetic Energy. I.e. it's an exact derivative of the expression for KE. It's a good one to remember.

As I said before, you need to revise your calculus!

Thanks - I guessed that it would be something really obvious like energy but missed it.

You are right, I do need to revise my calculus. Like I said it is 7 years since I did this stuff and now I am trying to study quantum field theory.

Can you give an example of a derivative that is not exact? Sometimes to get a better understanding of what something is one needs to see an example of something which is not the thing in question. Or is it simy because there is no constant? I mean if you just integrate mv over dt , would you not get 1/2 m[v][/2] + C ? Is that why you wrote it mv dv/dt ? Thanks

That should have said 1/2 mv^2 + C (iphone doesn't seem to like latex

resurgance2001 said:
Can you give an example of a derivative that is not exact? Sometimes to get a better understanding of what something is one needs to see an example of something which is not the thing in question. Or is it simy because there is no constant? I mean if you just integrate mv over dt , would you not get 1/2 m[v][/2] + C ? Is that why you wrote it mv dv/dt ? Thanks
PeroK wrote this several posts back:
PeroK said:
mv\frac{dv}{dt} = \frac{d}{dt}(\frac{1}{2}mv^2)
If you integrate the left side, with respect to t, you have this
$$\int mv\frac{dv}{dt} ~dt = \int mv ~ dv = \frac 1 2 mv^2 + C$$
In the expression on the left, the dt's effectively cancel to produce the expression in the middle.

Likes resurgance2001

1. What are differential equations?

Differential equations are mathematical equations that involve derivatives. They are used to model and describe the relationship between a function and its rate of change.

2. Why are differential equations important in science?

Differential equations are important in science because they allow us to mathematically describe and predict the behavior of physical systems. They are used in various fields of science such as physics, engineering, and biology.

3. How do you solve simple differential equations?

To solve simple differential equations, you first need to identify the type of equation and its order. Then, you can use various methods such as separation of variables, integrating factors, or substitution to solve for the unknown function.

4. How can differential equations be applied to particle velocity and position?

Differential equations can be used to model the motion of particles by describing the relationship between their position, velocity, and acceleration. By solving these equations, we can determine the position and velocity of a particle at any given time.

5. What are some real-world applications of solving differential equations for particle velocity and position?

Differential equations for particle velocity and position have many real-world applications, such as predicting the trajectory of a projectile, modeling the movement of celestial bodies, and understanding the behavior of fluids and gases in engineering and environmental systems.