1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple harmonic motion and energy - yet another answer key disagreement?

1. Nov 24, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A particle is in simple harmonic motion along the x axis. The amplitude of the motion is xm.
    When it is at x = x1, its kinetic energy is K = 5J and its potential energy (measured with U = 0 at x = 0) is U = 3J. When it is at x = –1/2xm, the kinetic and potential energies are:

A) K = 5J and U = 3J
    B) K = 5J and U = –3J
    C) K = 8J and U = 0
    D) K = 0 and U = 8J
    E) K = 0 and U = –8J

2. Relevant equations

E = 1/2kA^2

[tex]1/2kA^2 = 1/2mv^2 + 1/2kx^2[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

1/2kA^2 = 8[/tex]

[tex]1/2mv^2 + 1/2kx^2^ = 8[/tex]

[tex]A = 4/\sqrt{k}[/tex]

[tex]x = -1/2(4/\sqrt{k}) = -2/\sqrt{k}[/tex]

[tex]1/2mv^2 + 1/2k(-2/\sqrt{k})^2^ = 8[/tex]

[tex]1/2mv^2 + 2 = 8[/tex]

[tex]K = 6 J[/tex]

[tex]U = 8 - 6 = 2 J

As you see, this is not one of the choices. Am I doing something wrong?
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 24, 2008 #2
    Sorry about the bad formatting earlier; I have fixed it now.
  4. Nov 24, 2008 #3
    Looking at it, I guess by process of elimination it has to A because energy isn't negative, thus B, C, and E are ruled out. And it cannot have full kinetic energy between equilibrium and amplitude, so D is ruled out.

However, it disagrees with my calculations.
  5. Nov 24, 2008 #4

Homework Helper

Don't you know what the total energy in the system is at x1?

Don't you also know at x = 0 is where U = 0? And also at Xm is where K = 0, so ... which answer meets these requirements?

Edit: Ooops. Looks like you figured it out.
  6. Nov 24, 2008 #5

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It looks to me like your original solution is fine, and the answer key is incorrect....

The total energy is 8J, so [tex]\frac{1}{2}kA^2=8 \, \text{J}[/tex]. And so at [tex]x=\frac{-x_m}{2}=\frac{-A}{2}[/tex] , the potential energy is:

[tex]U(x)=\frac{1}{2}kx^2=\frac{1}{2}k \left( \frac{-A}{2} \right)^2=\frac{1}{4} \left( \frac{1}{2}kA^2 \right)= \frac{1}{4}(8 \, \text{J})=2 \, \text{J}[/tex]
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?