Simple Harmonic Motion of skydiver

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving two skydivers of different masses hanging from a parachute and their respective periods of oscillation. The equation T = 2pie square root of m/k is used to find the new period of oscillation when a second skydiver is added. The correct answer is 1.94 seconds, but the person is getting an incorrect answer due to a mistake in their calculation of k. An alternate method is suggested, which involves eliminating k from the equation and substituting the values to find the new period. It is advised to solve the problem using notations first before calculating the numerical value.
BDR
I can't seem to get the right answer, where is my mistake?

A 90 kg skydiver hanging from a parachute bounces up and down with a period of 1.5 seconds. What is the new period of oscillation when a second skydiver, whose mass is 60 kg, hangs from the legs of the first?

I am using the equation T = 2pie square root of m/k.

I found k and then combined the 2 masses (m1+m2), and put that back into the equation and found an answer but not the right one.

The right answer is suppose to be 1.94 s ...i'm getting 58

Physics news on Phys.org
Your method is correct, you must be doing some calculation wrong. What did you get for k?

I got k = 38.14 I don't know if its right though

There's your problem. k is much bigger than that. How did you find k?

your value of k is not correct check the calculations

You may also use T1/T2 = squrt of m1/(m1+m2)

I'm not sure that is the correct number i got for K, i have so many numbers on my paper everything is mixed together. I took the period given which was 1.5 divided by 2 pie 1.5/2pie = .239. Then i squared to get rid of the square root. Which gave me .239 = m/k. Then multiplied by k and divided.

I'm getting an answer of 2.5, is that correct? The correct answer is 1.94 s, or that's what the book says.

T = 2p sqr(m/K)
T^2= 4p^2(m/K)
K = (4*P^2*m)/T^2
put the values it gives 1579.14 N/m
how you were calculating

I suggested an easy method in the earlier posting
As K is not changing you can eliminate it from the two cases by dividing the equations of the two time periods you will get the equation I gave in that posting and by substituting the values you can calculate T2

It is always better to solve first in notations and finally calculating the numerical value.

What is Simple Harmonic Motion?

Simple Harmonic Motion is a type of periodic motion in which an object moves back and forth in a straight line due to a restoring force that is directly proportional to its displacement from the equilibrium position. In other words, the object experiences a restoring force that brings it back to its original position after being displaced.

How does Simple Harmonic Motion relate to skydiving?

When a skydiver jumps out of a plane, they experience Simple Harmonic Motion as they fall towards the ground. This is because the force of gravity acts as the restoring force, pulling the skydiver back towards the ground after they are displaced from their original position.

What factors affect the Simple Harmonic Motion of a skydiver?

The Simple Harmonic Motion of a skydiver is affected by several factors, including the skydiver's weight, air resistance, and the force of gravity. These factors can alter the amplitude (maximum displacement from equilibrium) and frequency (number of oscillations per unit time) of the motion.

How does air resistance impact the Simple Harmonic Motion of a skydiver?

Air resistance, also known as drag, can affect the Simple Harmonic Motion of a skydiver by opposing the motion and decreasing the amplitude of the oscillations. This is because air resistance acts as a force that counteracts the force of gravity, slowing down the skydiver's fall and decreasing the distance they travel with each oscillation.

Can the Simple Harmonic Motion of a skydiver be modeled mathematically?

Yes, the Simple Harmonic Motion of a skydiver can be modeled mathematically using equations such as Hooke's Law and the equation for the period of a pendulum. These equations take into account the various factors that affect the motion and can be used to accurately predict the skydiver's position and velocity at any given time during the fall.