Understanding the Use of Sin and Cos Formulas in Simple Harmonic Motion

In summary, the equations s = A cos 2 pi ft and s = A sin 2 pi ft can both be used to represent displacement in an oscillating system, with the choice depending on the initial conditions and what is being defined as displacement at time zero. A more general representation is s = A sin 2 pi ft + B cos 2 pi ft, with corresponding equations for velocity. The equations can also be expressed as s = C sin(2 pi ft + ֹφ) or s = C cos(2 pi ft + ֹφ), with φ representing the phase angle and being chosen to match the initial conditions and desired representation.
smileandbehappy
H, I missed the class so may be asking something really dumb her but have got a test today and want to do well so here goes:

in what cases should you use either of these formulas? (we have been told to remember them but not told when either is more relavent that the other, and my book doesn't say either):

s = A cos 2 pi ft

s = A sin 2 pi ft

Again sorry if I am asking a rediculous question, but better to be safe than sorry. Also thanks in advance for any help given.

Physics news on Phys.org
smileandbehappy said:
H, I missed the class so may be asking something really dumb her but have got a test today and want to do well so here goes:

in what cases should you use either of these formulas? (we have been told to remember them but not told when either is more relavent that the other, and my book doesn't say either):

s = A cos 2 pi ft

s = A sin 2 pi ft

Again sorry if I am asking a rediculous question, but better to be safe than sorry. Also thanks in advance for any help given.
What do you want s to be when t = 0?

Would that not depend on which one of the equations you used? But how do you know which equation to use? If I get a question asking me to find the displacement will I just have to guess which equation to use?

smileandbehappy said:
Would that not depend on which one of the equations you used? But how do you know which equation to use? If I get a question asking me to find the displacement will I just have to guess which equation to use?
Either equation can be chosen to represent the displacement. It depends on what you choose to call the displacement at time zero. If you start an oscillator at maximum displacement at time zero, you would use cosine. If you start it with no displacement and some intial velocity you would use sine for the displacement; velocity would then be a cosine.

The most general representation is a mix of the two, corresponding to an initial displacement with an initial velocity.

s = A sin 2 pi ft + B cos 2 pi ft

with

v = 2 pi f (A cos 2 pi ft - B sin 2 pi ft)

where A and B must be chosen to satisfy the initial displacement and velocity situation. In mathematics, this is referred to as the boundary conditions.

It can be shown that the displacement can also be expressed as

s = C sin(2 pi ft + ֹφ) OR s = C cos(2 pi ft + ֹφ)

φ is called the phase angle and can be chosen to match the boundary conditions for either the sine or the cosine representation of the motion. φ will be different depending on which representation you want to use.

1. What is simple harmonic motion?

Simple harmonic motion is a type of periodic motion where the restoring force is directly proportional to the displacement from the equilibrium position and acts in the opposite direction of the displacement. This results in a back-and-forth motion that repeats itself over time.

2. What are the factors that affect simple harmonic motion?

The factors that affect simple harmonic motion include the mass of the object, the amplitude of the motion, and the stiffness of the restoring force (known as the spring constant). These factors determine the frequency and period of the motion.

3. How is simple harmonic motion different from other types of motion?

Simple harmonic motion is unique because the restoring force is directly proportional to the displacement, whereas in other types of motion, the restoring force may vary. Additionally, the motion is always periodic and the object always returns to its starting point.

4. What is the formula for calculating the period of simple harmonic motion?

The formula for calculating the period (T) of simple harmonic motion is T = 2π * √(m/k), where m is the mass of the object and k is the spring constant. This means that the period is directly proportional to the square root of the mass and inversely proportional to the square root of the spring constant.

5. How is simple harmonic motion used in real life?

Simple harmonic motion is used in many real-life applications, such as in pendulum clocks, springs in car suspensions, and musical instruments. It is also used in engineering and physics to model various systems and understand their behavior.