Solving Indefinite Integral: Approach and Techniques

In summary, a simple indefinite integral is a mathematical concept used to find the antiderivative of a function, represented by the symbol ∫. To solve it, integration rules and techniques such as substitution and integration by parts are used. It differs from a definite integral in that it gives a general solution in the form of a function. It can have multiple solutions due to the non-uniqueness of antiderivatives. Real-world applications include calculating distance and rates of change in various fields.
nissan4l0

Homework Statement

Solve the indefinite integral

Homework Equations

[tex]\int\frac{dy}{y(1-y)}[/tex]

How do I best approach this problem? I have been stuck for hours!

Physics news on Phys.org
Use partial fractions. That is write 1/(y(1-y)) as:

[tex]
\frac{a}{y}+\frac{b}{1-y}[/tex]

and determine the constants a and b.

Ok, thank you! I am taking a differential equations class but I have forgotten about the method of partial fractions. I will relearn it, and I will post my solution shortly.

FAQ: Solving Indefinite Integral: Approach and Techniques

1. What is a simple indefinite integral?

A simple indefinite integral is a mathematical concept used to find the antiderivative of a function. It is represented by the symbol ∫, and is the reverse process of differentiation. It is used to calculate the area under a curve and is an essential tool in calculus.

2. How do you solve a simple indefinite integral?

To solve a simple indefinite integral, you need to follow a set of rules known as integration rules. These rules include the power rule, product rule, quotient rule, and chain rule. You also need to use integration techniques such as substitution, integration by parts, partial fractions, and trigonometric substitution.

3. What is the difference between a simple indefinite integral and a definite integral?

A simple indefinite integral gives a general solution in the form of a function, while a definite integral gives a specific numerical value. The result of a definite integral is a number, whereas the result of a simple indefinite integral is a function that represents a family of curves.

4. Can a simple indefinite integral have more than one solution?

Yes, a simple indefinite integral can have more than one solution. This is because the antiderivative of a function is not unique. It can have a constant of integration added to it, resulting in an infinite number of solutions.

5. What are some real-world applications of simple indefinite integrals?

Simple indefinite integrals have many real-world applications, such as calculating the distance traveled by an object with varying velocity, determining the rate of change in a physical system, and finding the total energy consumed over time. They are also used in economics, physics, engineering, and other fields to solve various problems involving rates of change and accumulation.

Back