Double Checking Integral of 1/(1+sin(theta)) using WolframAlpha

• Thread starter zoxee
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary, the integral of ##\dfrac{1}{1+sin(\theta)}\ d\theta## can be simplified to ##-2(1+tan(\frac{\theta}{2}))^{-1}##, but Wolfram Alpha gives a different result of ##\dfrac{2sin(x/2)}{sin(x/2) + cos(x/2)}##. The hint provided is to differentiate the answer to see if it matches the integrand. The conversation also mentions using a different hint, but it is not clear how to use it to get from the given step to the Wolfram Alpha result.
zoxee
##\displaystyle \int \dfrac{1}{1+sin(\theta)}\ d\theta ##

I got ## -2(1+tan(\frac{\theta}{2}))^{-1} ## however wolframalpha got a different result than me, could anyone double check this for me as I've been over it a lot of times and can't get the wolframalpha equivalent

Physics news on Phys.org
Just differentiate your answer and see if you recover the integrand.

vela said:
Just differentiate your answer and see if you recover the integrand.

yes done that no problem,

just curious on how wolframalpha got their answer is all

What did Wolfram Alpha give you?

##\dfrac{2sin(x/2)}{sin(x/2) + cos(x/2)}##

Hint:
$$\frac{\tan x}{1+\tan x} = \frac{\tan x + 1 - 1}{1+\tan x} = 1 - \frac{1}{1+\tan x}$$

vela said:
Hint:
$$\frac{\tan x}{1+\tan x} = \frac{\tan x + 1 - 1}{1+\tan x} = 1 - \frac{1}{1+\tan x}$$

Can't seem to use that hint... what do I need to do to get from my step to their step? They are not equivalent as the constant of integration is different

zoxee said:
##\dfrac{2sin(x/2)}{sin(x/2) + cos(x/2)}##

[tex] \frac{-2}{1+\tan(u)} = \frac{2\sin(u)}{\sin(u)+\cos(u)} + \text{constant}[/tex]

1. How do I input the integral of 1/(1+sin(theta)) into WolframAlpha?

To input this integral into WolframAlpha, type in "integral of 1/(1+sin(theta))" into the search bar. Make sure to include parentheses around the denominator to ensure the correct interpretation.

2. Can WolframAlpha solve this integral?

Yes, WolframAlpha is able to solve this integral and provide a step-by-step solution. It is important to note that the solution may involve special functions or constants.

3. What is the domain of this integral?

The domain of this integral is all real numbers, as the function 1/(1+sin(theta)) is defined for all values of theta.

4. Can I change the bounds of integration for this integral?

Yes, you can change the bounds of integration by adding "from a to b" after the integral expression, where a and b are the desired bounds. WolframAlpha will then provide the solution for the integral with the specified bounds.

5. How can I check the solution provided by WolframAlpha?

You can double check the solution provided by WolframAlpha by differentiating the solution and verifying that it matches the original function. You can also use a graphing calculator to graph both the original function and the solution to visually confirm the accuracy.