1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple Kirchhoff Loop problem with inductor

1. Oct 20, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Just refer to the figure. The part shown is a part of a big circuit which you and anybody else shouldn't worry about.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I considered the battery terminals to be at 10 and 0V respectively. So the farther end of the resistor should be at 5V. An inductor produces a back EMF, which means that along the direction of current, there is a voltage drop. Therefore, A will be at 5V. So V(a)-V(b)=0. Am I right? I would be grateful to anyone who can help me solve similar problems, especially the ones which involve capacitors too. When does the "voltage" drop and when does it rise?

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 20, 2008 #2
    First, we need to decide which way the current's flowing, although for this problem it doesn't seem to make a difference. Let's say the current goes from right to left, point B to point A. As you go across the resistor, battery, and inductor, you'll have certain voltage drops or rises. I think you forgot about the voltage drop across the battery.

4. Oct 21, 2008 #3
    I didn't

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?