Understanding Light and Forces: Solving a Simple Laser Question as a Student

• Thread starter timhunderwood
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Laser
In summary, The conversation is about calculating the force on a perfectly black disk when a red laser beam with a wavelength of 650nm and a power of 100mW is incident normally on it. The person asking for help is struggling to relate photons to forces and has tried using the change in momentum of photons, but it didn't work. Another person explains that the momentum of the photons can be calculated using the formula h/lambda and that the photons should be treated like tennis balls in an in-elastic collision with the disc. They also mention that both the power and wavelength are needed to determine the effect of the photons.
timhunderwood
Hi I'm a student in school and I'm having a mental block on how to do this question. Could some give me a hint as to the principals I'm meant to consider /use.

Q) A red, 100mW, laser beam , wavelength 650nm, is incident normally on a perfectly black disk . Calculate the force on the disk.

I've never really had to relate photons to forces before. I tried consider change in momentum of photon is equal to impulse on black disk but that didn't work.

Thanks for the help

Physics news on Phys.org
You are correct it's just the momentum of the photons ( = h / lambda )
You can treat the photons just like you were throwing tennis balls at the disc - but remember that the photons are absorbed by the black disc so it is an in-elastic collision.

i tried using change of momentum = impulse but I only need to use lambda or Power not both so i think I'm doing something wrong can someone show me a solution.

Thanks

You need both, the power tells you how many photons/sec hit the disc and the wavelength tells you how much effect they have.

1. What is a simple laser?

A simple laser is a device that emits a narrow, intense beam of light through a process called stimulated emission. It typically consists of a gain medium, a pumping mechanism, and an optical resonator.

2. How does a simple laser work?

A simple laser works by pumping energy into a gain medium, such as a crystal or gas, which causes the atoms to become excited and emit photons. These photons then bounce back and forth between two mirrors in an optical resonator, amplifying the light and producing a coherent beam.

3. What are the applications of a simple laser?

Simple lasers have a wide range of applications, including in medicine, telecommunications, manufacturing, and research. They are used in surgical procedures, data transmission, cutting and welding materials, and studying the properties of light.

4. What are the advantages of a simple laser?

Some advantages of simple lasers include their high intensity and precision, ability to produce monochromatic light, and low divergence. They also have a high efficiency and can be easily controlled and manipulated.

5. What are the limitations of a simple laser?

One limitation of simple lasers is their size and complexity, which can make them costly to produce and maintain. They also require a constant power source and can be affected by external factors such as temperature and vibrations. Additionally, some simple lasers may produce harmful radiation and require special safety precautions.