Linear Algebra System: General Solution & Homogeneous Vector

In summary: You're very close! Remember that for a homogeneous system, the solutions will be in the form of a vector of parameters, so your solution should be:|1||-3||1||1|where the values of z and w can be any real numbers.
dmitriylm

Homework Statement

1. Express the general solution of the following system in vector form.

2x + 4y + 6z + 4w = 4
2x + 5y + 7z + 6w = 3
2x + 3y + 5z + 2w = 5

Clearly identify the particular solution. Also produce a vector with no zero components that satisfies the corresponding homogeneous system.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The solved echelon form is:
2x + 4y + 6z + 4w = 4
0x + 1y + 1z + 2w = -1

x = 4 + 2w -z
y = -1 - z - 2w

solution set: (4-z+2w, -1-z-2w, z, w)

The solution in vector form is displayed as:x |0 | |4 | | -1 | | 2|
y = |0 |+ |-1|+ | -1 |z + | 2|w
z |0 | |0 | | 1 | | 0|
w |0 | |0 | | 0 | | 1|The particular solution is the vector:

|4 |
|-1|
|0 |
|0 |

What I'm confused by is this statement: "Also produce a vector with no zero components that satisfies the corresponding homogeneous system.". What is the corresponding homogeneous system? How do I find it? How do I then produce this vector with no zero components?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You have a system of equations that is M x = f, where M is a matrix and x, f are vectors. The homogeneous system is M x = 0.

fzero said:
You have a system of equations that is M x = f, where M is a matrix and x, f are vectors. The homogeneous system is M x = 0.

So how do I take the solutions that I have to show a homogeneous system? My equations do not equal to zero. Is there a conversion process to do this?

dmitriylm said:
So how do I take the solutions that I have to show a homogeneous system? My equations do not equal to zero. Is there a conversion process to do this?

The corresponding homogeneous system is just

2x + 4y + 6z + 4w = 0
2x + 5y + 7z + 6w = 0
2x + 3y + 5z + 2w = 0

You can solve this by using the same techniques as for the inhomogeneous system.

fzero said:
The corresponding homogeneous system is just2x + 4y + 6z + 4w = 0
2x + 5y + 7z + 6w = 0
2x + 3y + 5z + 2w = 0

You can solve this by using the same techniques as for the inhomogeneous system.

What process did you use to arrive at this equation set? I'd like to do so on my own. Thanks for the help!

*edit* I see that you simply took all of the solutions and replaced them with zero's.

dmitriylm said:
What process did you use to arrive at this equation set? I'd like to do so on my own. Thanks for the help!

*edit* I see that you simply took all of the solutions and replaced them with zero's.

Yes, as I said before, given a vector x of unknowns and a matrix A of coefficients, you can write the linear system

A x = 0.

Because of the 0 vector on the RHS, this is called a homogenous equation. Technically the reason for the terminology is that the equation is invariant under a rescaling of x by a scalar multiple t,

A (t x) = t ( A x ) = t 0= 0.

If we are given an additional vector y, we can construct the inhomogenous system

A x = y.

So solving for that homogeneous system produces the following result:

2 4 6 4 = 0
0 1 1 2 = 0
0 0 0 0 = 0

with x=-z+2w and y=-z-2w, solution set is (-z+2w, -z-2w, z, w)

and a solution vector of:

Which is not what the problem is asking for. How do I find a solution vector that has no zero components? Is this even possible if the solutions for a homogeneous system of equations are zero's by definition?

Last edited:
z and w don't have to be zero.

fzero said:
z and w don't have to be zero.
Ah! That's right! I can just make them any number, and then add the resulting vectors together correct? Thank you so much!

Would I right that as such? :

when z=w=1;

solution vector:

1. What is simple linear algebra?

Simple linear algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of linear equations and linear transformations. It involves the use of matrices, vectors, and systems of linear equations to represent and solve problems in various fields, such as physics, engineering, and computer science.

2. What are the basic concepts in simple linear algebra?

The basic concepts in simple linear algebra include vectors, matrices, linear transformations, and systems of linear equations. These concepts are used to represent and solve problems involving linear relationships between variables.

3. How is simple linear algebra used in real life?

Simple linear algebra has numerous applications in real life, including data analysis, computer graphics, economic modeling, and engineering design. It is also used in machine learning and artificial intelligence algorithms to make predictions and solve complex problems.

4. What is the difference between simple linear algebra and advanced linear algebra?

The main difference between simple linear algebra and advanced linear algebra is the complexity of the problems that they deal with. Simple linear algebra involves basic operations and concepts, while advanced linear algebra deals with more complex operations, such as eigenvalues, eigenvectors, and diagonalization.

5. How can I improve my understanding of simple linear algebra?

To improve your understanding of simple linear algebra, it is important to practice solving problems and working with matrices and vectors. You can also read textbooks and watch online tutorials to learn the fundamental concepts and techniques. Additionally, seeking help from a tutor or joining a study group can also be beneficial.