I'm sorry, I do not understand your comment. Could you please clarify?

• Thread starter courtrigrad
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Log
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving logarithms and the product rule. One participant suggests using a hyperbolic function to simplify the problem, while another suggests using the variable y to represent 4^x. The correct use of the product rule is also clarified.
courtrigrad
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello,

I need help with this problem:

4^x + 4^-x = 5/2

My Solution: (Assume we use log with base 4)

log ( 4^x + 4^-x) = log(5/2)

= log (4^0) = log (5/2) ?

I don't see what I am doing wrong. I used the Product Rule. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
log (4^x + 4^-x) is not equivalent to log(4^x) + log(4^-x).

try using the fact that 4^x = 4^(2x)*4^-x

Last edited:
1.The product rule of logs says:
log(ab)=log(a)+log(b)
This is not what you've been using.
2. You should write, for example:
[tex]4^{x}=e^{xln(4)},4^{-x}=e^{-xln(4)}[/tex]
Try to rewrite your original problem with a hyperbolic function..

Or simplest

[tex] (4^x)(4^x) + (4^-^x)(4^x) = \frac{5}{2}(4^x) [/tex]

Edit: To please arildno :smile:

Last edited:
Try [itex]y = 4^x[/itex].

Cyclovenom said:
Or simply

[tex] (4^x)(4^x) + (4^-^x)(4^x) = \frac{5}{2}(4^x) [/tex]
I would have said "Or simplest.." :shy: :redface: :cry:

Related to I'm sorry, I do not understand your comment. Could you please clarify?

1. What is a simple log problem?

A simple log problem is a mathematical equation that involves finding the value of a logarithm. A logarithm is the inverse function of an exponential function and is used to solve equations involving exponents.

2. How do I solve a simple log problem?

To solve a simple log problem, you can use the properties of logarithms, such as the product, quotient, and power rules. You can also use the change of base formula or convert the logarithmic equation into an exponential equation to solve it.

3. What is the purpose of solving a simple log problem?

The purpose of solving a simple log problem is to find the value of the logarithm, which can be used in various real-life applications, such as calculating population growth, earthquake intensity, and sound intensity.

4. Can a simple log problem have more than one solution?

Yes, a simple log problem can have more than one solution. This can happen when the logarithmic equation has multiple values that satisfy the equation. It can also happen when using the change of base formula, which results in a decimal approximation of the exact solution.

5. What are some tips for solving a simple log problem?

Some tips for solving a simple log problem include understanding the properties of logarithms, being familiar with the change of base formula, and practicing converting between logarithmic and exponential equations. It is also helpful to check your solutions by plugging them back into the original equation.