Understanding Magnetic Field Direction and Force Using Right Hand Rule

• Thread starter planauts
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Magnetism
In summary, the conversation is about a question on the direction of field lines in a solenoid with two currents. The solution involves using the right hand rule and determining the direction of the field based on the direction of the current. The conversation also discusses using the left hand rule for cross product to determine the force on a positively charged particle entering the solenoid along its axis. There is confusion about the direction of the axis and what would happen to the particle.
planauts

Homework Statement

[URL]http://ploader.net/files/795e05b46860aa55fc17ce371c14eb99.PNG[/URL]

The Attempt at a Solution

[URL]http://ploader.net/files/574a81d69c34f39fd049610251d0f0bd.GIF[/URL]

Ok so I got the first part of the question. The problem that I am having is the direction of the field lines, which direction would it be? I know I have to use the right hand rule (the curling my fingers one). I am having trouble because there are two currents in opposite direction, so how would I use it? Thanks

I am also having trouble with Part C ii). I don't understand the question.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Use the thumb rule two times - one for each current

ashishsinghal said:
Use the thumb rule two times - one for each current

[URL]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/3e/Manoderecha.svg[/URL]

[URL]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/15/LeftHandOutline.png[/URL]

Which one? The first one, right?

But I am still having trouble with it :( There are two currents, the both are opposite, so shouldn't the fields cancel out?

Can you give me more details?

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, the first one.
You should see for yourself if they cancel out.
BTW what are the two currents which are opposite. The figure in the question is about a single current through a solenoid. The dots and crosses should not be confused as two wires. They just show the direction of current.

Oh, I think I see it. I got really confused with the rule. So it should be towards the left since it is popping out below and popping into the screen above.

Answer: LEFT
Correct?
Thanks for your help :)

How would you do the second part?

(ii) A positively charged particle enters the solenoid along its axis. On the diagram, show the path of the particle in the solenoid.

Which axis are they talking about, the positive or negative? And what would happen?

Thanks

yeah, left is right. Now use hand rule for cross product to determine force.

1. What is magnetism?

Magnetism is a physical phenomenon that describes the force of attraction or repulsion between objects due to their magnetic fields.

2. How do magnets work?

Magnets work by having a magnetic field, which is a region around the magnet where it can exert a force on other magnets or magnetic materials.

3. What is the difference between a magnet and an electromagnet?

A magnet is a piece of material that has a natural magnetic field, while an electromagnet is a coil of wire that produces a magnetic field when an electric current is passed through it.

4. What are the properties of magnets?

The properties of magnets include the ability to attract or repel other magnets, to align with Earth's magnetic field, and to induce a magnetic field in nearby objects.

5. How can I demagnetize a magnet?

A magnet can be demagnetized by heating it, hitting it with a hammer, or exposing it to a strong magnetic field in the opposite direction of its natural magnetic field.