Master Simplifying Skills: How to Simplify Complex Equations

• Thread starter 1calculus1
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the process of simplifying an equation and provides examples of multiplying and expanding expressions. The final equation is simplified by adding exponents and substituting values for variables.
1calculus1
Simple Math-- Need help =/

1. Homework Statement [/b
I am confused on how this equation:
2h + (16/h-8 +2) (-8/(h-8)^2
is simplified to this equation:
2h - 128 (h-8)^3 - 16/(h-8)^2

Homework Equations

Simplifying skills.

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, I know that they got the number 128 from multiplying 16 and -8 together and how they got -16 by multiplying 2 and -8 together. Now, what I don't get is getting (h-8)^3 from (h-8)... SOMEONE PLEASE HELP?

Physics news on Phys.org
If you have (A + B) * -C

and you want to expand it out you do -A*C - B*C ...do you see?

in your question A = 16/(h-8)

also if you have (1/y)(2/y^2)

you'll get 2/y^3

the top multiplied together and the bottom multiplied together... do you see?

do you mean that 2h - 128/(h-8)^3 - 16/(h-8)^2? if you meant that, then the (h-8)^3 comes from multiplying (h-8) times ( h-8)^2, what you do is you add the exponents.

It is like x times x, you add the exponents if the bases are the same, it becomes x^2, 5 times 5 is 5^2.

I'll be right back. I'm at school right now and bell is going to ring soon. Thanks for the replies, I'll look into it once I get home.

[tex]2h+( \frac{16}{h-8} + 2 ) ( \frac{-8}{(h-8)^2} ) [/tex]

let [tex]x = \frac{-8}{(h-8)^2} [/tex], then:

[tex]2h+( \frac{16}{h-8} + 2 ) x [/tex]

[tex]2h+ \frac{16}{h-8} \times x + 2 \times x [/tex]

sub [tex]x = \frac{-8}{(h-8)^2} [/tex] back in:

[tex]2h+ \frac{16}{h-8} \times \frac{-8}{(h-8)^2} + 2 \times \frac{-8}{(h-8)^2} [/tex]

[tex]2h+ \frac{16 \times (-8)}{(h-8) \times (h-8)^2} + \frac{2 \times (-8)}{(h-8)^2} [/tex]

[tex]2h+ \frac{-128}{(h-8)^3} + \frac{-16}{(h-8)^2} [/tex]

Does that clear it up?

Last edited:

What is simple math?

Simple math refers to basic mathematical operations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division.

What is the order of operations in simple math?

The order of operations in simple math is PEMDAS, which stands for Parentheses, Exponents, Multiplication and Division (from left to right), and Addition and Subtraction (from left to right). This is the order in which operations should be performed in an equation to get the correct answer.

How do I solve a simple math problem?

To solve a simple math problem, you must follow the order of operations and perform the necessary operations in the correct order. Start by simplifying any parentheses, then work on any exponents, followed by multiplication and division from left to right, and finally addition and subtraction from left to right.

What is the difference between an equation and an expression in simple math?

An equation is a statement that shows the equality between two quantities, while an expression is a combination of numbers, variables, and operations that does not have an equal sign. In simple math, equations are used to solve for a specific value, while expressions are used to simplify and evaluate.

What are some common mistakes to avoid in simple math?

Some common mistakes to avoid in simple math include not following the order of operations, forgetting to distribute a negative sign, and making careless errors in calculations. It is important to double-check your work and use a calculator if needed to avoid these mistakes.