Calculate Shear Strength of Pin with Simple Mechanical Formula - Expert Tips

• Thread starter barvas11
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mechanical
In summary, the conversation discusses a simple formula for calculating the shear strength of a pin, taking into account the yield strength of the material and whether the pin is in single or double shear. The formula is straightforward, but tailoring it to a specific problem can be challenging. Additional details such as the yield strength and diameter of the pin are needed to determine the maximum shear force it can withstand. The distortion energy theory is mentioned and the conversation concludes with a reminder to provide proper information for a more accurate and timely response.
barvas11
Hi Guys,
What is a simple formula for calculating a shear strength of pin taking into consideration the yield strength of the material?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Is the pin in single shear or double shear?

The formula is the easy part. It's tailoring it for your specific problem that's the tricky part.

single shear

Vadar2012 said:
The formula is the easy part. It's tailoring it for your specific problem that's the tricky part.

I know ;)

You need to give us much more details.

yield strength of the pin is 355 N/mm2
pin diameter is 80mmm
What is the maximum shear the pin can take?

I'll do it for you.

Let's use the distortion energy theory: Ssy = 0.58Sy
where Sy = 355 MPa
Therefore Ssy = 206 MPa
I'm assuming you're after the shear force, since you have the yield and diameter.
So F= SSy*A
F = 206*5026mm^2 = 1e6 N

Assuming single shear. It'll be double this for double shear.

I did this quickly in my head, you should probably check my working.

That is one big pin though...

Last edited:
Thanks Vadar2012
I did it the same way and I checked it against shearforces for bolts I found online. It appears to be right.

Please note that you could have received a better answer more quickly if you had supplied proper information at the beginning.

It's tailoring it for your specific problem that's the tricky part.

With pins in shear

You also have to consider the strength of the pinned material in relation to the pin material.

If the pin is a safety or protection failure device you may need yet further considerations.

Related to Calculate Shear Strength of Pin with Simple Mechanical Formula - Expert Tips

1. What is a simple mechanical calculation?

A simple mechanical calculation is a mathematical calculation that involves basic operations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division, and does not require the use of complex formulas or equations.

2. What are some examples of simple mechanical calculations?

Some examples of simple mechanical calculations include calculating the area or perimeter of a shape, finding the average of a set of numbers, and converting units of measurement.

3. Why are simple mechanical calculations important?

Simple mechanical calculations are important because they are the foundation of more complex mathematical concepts and are used in everyday life, from budgeting and cooking to engineering and scientific research.

4. How can I improve my skills in performing simple mechanical calculations?

To improve your skills in performing simple mechanical calculations, you can practice regularly, use tools such as calculators and worksheets, and seek help from teachers or tutors if needed.

5. Are there any common mistakes to watch out for in simple mechanical calculations?

Yes, some common mistakes to watch out for in simple mechanical calculations include forgetting to carry over numbers in addition or subtraction, using the wrong formula for a calculation, and misplacing decimal points in multiplication or division.