Mechanical Bending Moment and Rod Deformation Calculations

• Thread starter Apple&Orange
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mechanical
In summary, the conversation discusses the required minimum diameter of a circular rod to withstand a bending moment and a maximum stress without exceeding the allowable stress. The equations for bending stress and second moment of area for a circle are mentioned, and the attempt at a solution includes calculations using these equations and the given values for the bending moment, modulus of elasticity, and maximum stress. However, there is a discrepancy in the formula used for bending stress, which leads to a potential error in the calculation for the diameter. Further clarification and double checking is requested.
Apple&Orange

Homework Statement

A) A circular rod is subjected to a bending moment of 315Nm. What is the minimum diameter of the rod required so that the maximum stress does not exceed 200N/mm2?

B) If the Modulus of Elasticity for the material from which the rod is made of is 100kN/mm2, what radius will the rod be deformed to when stressed to the maximum allowable?

Homework Equations

A) [itex]\frac{M}{I}[/itex] = σ

B) [itex]\frac{M}{σ]}[/itex] = [itex]\frac{ρ]}{E]}[/itex]

Second moment of Area for a circle of diameter d, about its Neutral Axis is [itex]\frac{∏d}{64}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

A) M=314N/m
σ=200MN/m2
I=[itex]\frac{∏d]}{64}[/itex]

[itex]\frac{314}{[itex]\frac{∏d}{64}[/itex]}[/itex]=200×106

d=0.0752m

B) M=413Nm
E=100GN/m2
σ=200MN/m2

[itex]\frac{314}{200×106}[/itex]=[itex]\frac{ρ}{100×109}[/itex]

ρ=157,000m (Ridiculous answer, I know)

I haven't done mechanics in a while, so I was wondering if someone could double check that I'm on the right track.

Chuur Chuur

Physics news on Phys.org
Bending stress is Mc/I not M/I. Check your units.

LawrenceC said:
Bending stress is Mc/I not M/I. Check your units.

But how would that formula work though?

I wouldn't be able to solve for c, since I'm asked to find the diameter. If I substitute that in, then I'd have [itex]\frac{M\frac{d}{2}}{\frac{∏d}{64}}[/itex]=σ

where c = [itex]\frac{d}{2}[/itex]

Apple&Orange said:
But how would that formula work though?

I wouldn't be able to solve for c, since I'm asked to find the diameter. If I substitute that in, then I'd have [itex]\frac{M\frac{d}{2}}{\frac{∏d}{64}}[/itex]=σ

where c = [itex]\frac{d}{2}[/itex]

You are provided with the bending moment and the maximum stress. You can easily determine diameter from that information. The formula you have above is missing an exponent.

I would first like to commend you for attempting to solve these problems and showing your work. Your approach to solving the problems seems correct, but there are a few things that could be improved upon.

For part A, you correctly used the formula for calculating stress, but your value for the bending moment (M) is incorrect. It should be 315 Nm, not 314 N/m. Additionally, when converting the units for the second moment of area (I), you should be using meters instead of millimeters. This will give you a diameter of 0.0752 meters, which is equivalent to 75.2 mm. This seems like a reasonable answer for the minimum diameter of the rod.

For part B, your approach is correct, but there is a mistake in your calculation. The bending moment (M) should still be 315 Nm, not 413 Nm. This will give you a value for ρ (radius) of 0.00157 meters, which is equivalent to 1.57 mm. This is a reasonable answer for the deformation of the rod when stressed to the maximum allowable.

Overall, your approach is sound, but it's important to pay attention to units and use the correct values in your calculations. Keep up the good work!

Related to Mechanical Bending Moment and Rod Deformation Calculations

1. What is a simple machine?

A simple machine is a mechanical device that changes the direction or magnitude of a force. Examples include levers, pulleys, and inclined planes.

2. How many types of simple machines are there?

There are six types of simple machines: lever, wheel and axle, pulley, inclined plane, wedge, and screw.

3. What is the purpose of simple machines?

The purpose of simple machines is to make work easier by reducing the amount of force needed to accomplish a task. They can also change the direction or distance of a force.

4. Can simple machines be combined?

Yes, simple machines can be combined to create compound machines. For example, a wheel and axle can be combined with a lever to create a wheelbarrow.

5. What are some real-life examples of simple machines?

Some real-life examples of simple machines include a seesaw (lever), a bicycle (wheel and axle), and a flagpole (pulley).