Calculating Momentum of a Puck with Given Velocity and Mass

• Thread starter zaraox
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Momentum
In summary, the puck has a velocity of 3i - 4j m/s and a mass of 20 kilograms. The momentum of the puck can be calculated as either 100 Ns or 60i - 80j Ns, with the latter approach preserving the vector property of momentum. The correct answer is C.
zaraox
A puck has a velocity of 3i –4j m/s and a mass of 20 kilograms. What is the momentum of the puck?

A. 100 Ns
B. 60i – 4j Ns
C. 60i – 80j Ns
D. 23i – 24j Ns

Alright, so I calculated the velocity from the resultant vector to be 5 m/s. So:

p = mv
p = 20 kg x 5 m/s
p = 100 Ns

But I can also do this:

p = mv
p = 20(3i - 4j)
p = 60i - 80j Ns

So what answer is right, A or C?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello zaraox,

Welcome to Physics Forums!

Momentum is a vector (it is not a scalar quantity). That means momentum has both magnitude and direction. Which one of your approaches preserves this property?

collinsmark said:
Hello zaraox,

Welcome to Physics Forums!

Momentum is a vector (it is not a scalar quantity). That means momentum has both magnitude and direction. Which one of your approaches preserves this property?

So the answer would be C then? :)

zaraox said:
So the answer would be C then? :)
Sounds good to me.

Haha, embarrassingly simple. Thank you!

1. What is momentum?

Momentum is a measure of an object's motion, determined by its mass and velocity. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

2. How is momentum calculated?

Momentum is calculated by multiplying an object's mass by its velocity. The formula for momentum is p = mv, where p is momentum, m is mass, and v is velocity.

3. What is the law of conservation of momentum?

The law of conservation of momentum states that in a closed system, the total momentum before an interaction is equal to the total momentum after the interaction. This means that momentum is conserved and cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred between objects.

4. How does momentum relate to Newton's laws of motion?

Momentum is directly related to Newton's second law of motion, which states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass. In other words, the greater the momentum of an object, the greater the force needed to change its motion.

5. What are some real-world applications of momentum?

Momentum is used in many areas of science and engineering, including sports, transportation, and space travel. For example, in sports such as football and soccer, players use momentum to propel themselves and the ball forward. In transportation, momentum is important for designing efficient vehicles and calculating braking distances. In space travel, momentum is crucial for spacecraft to change directions and reach their destinations.