Simple Parallel Plate Capacitor Question

In summary, the electric field between two plates of a parallel plate capacitor is dependent on the charge density on each side of the plate.
MassimoHeitor
Assuming a Parallel Plate Capacitor of area A, separation distance d, plate charges [tex]\pm Q[/tex]: and plate charge densities [tex]\pm\sigma[/tex]:

In my textbook and in Wikipedia,

Electric Field of a charged plane with large or infinite area: [tex]\frac{\sigma}{\epsilon}[/tex]
Electric Field between plates of parallel plate capacitor: [tex]\frac{\sigma}{\epsilon}[/tex]
Voltage difference between plates of parallel plate capacitor = [tex]\frac{Q \cdot d}{\epsilon \cdot A}[/tex]

My question is since a parallel plate capacitor contains two plates of equal and opposite charge, shouldn't there be an additional factor of two? In other words,

shouldn't the net electric field between the two plates be: [tex]\frac{2 \cdot \sigma}{\epsilon}[/tex]
and shouldn't the voltage difference between the two plates be: [tex]\frac{2 \cdot Q \cdot d}{\epsilon \cdot A}[/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
MassimoHeitor said:
Electric Field of a charged plane with large or infinite area: [tex]\frac{\sigma}{\epsilon}[/tex]
Ah... this is not the first time I've come across this particular conundrum.

That formula applies to the case of a conductor with one plane surface, where the entire charge density [itex]\sigma[/itex] lies on that one surface. But each plate in a capacitor has two surfaces. If you define [itex]\sigma[/itex] as the charge density on each of those surfaces individually, the total charge on each plate is
[tex]Q = 2\sigma A[/tex]
so the charge density on each surface is
[tex]\sigma = \frac{Q}{2A}[/tex]
In this sense, yes, the electric field at the center is
[tex]\frac{2\sigma}{\epsilon}[/tex]
but that still works out to
[tex]V = \frac{Qd}{\epsilon A}[/tex]
which you could also calculate from Gauss's law.

It is also possible to define [itex]\sigma[/itex] as the total charge density on each plate, i.e. as the sum of the charge densities on both sides of the plate. In that case, the factor of 2 disappears, so that
[tex]Q = \sigma A[/tex]
But with this definition of [itex]\sigma[/itex], the electric field between the plates is just [itex]\sigma/\epsilon[/itex], so it still works out to
[tex]V = \frac{Qd}{\epsilon A}[/tex]

diazona said:
Ah... this is not the first time I've come across this particular conundrum.

Ah... two-sided plates. Makes perfect sense. I wish they explained that in my textbook or in Wikipedia...

MassimoHeitor said:
Ah... two-sided plates. Makes perfect sense. I wish they explained that in my textbook or in Wikipedia...
Me too - that particular ambiguity has caused a lot of confusion.

Which Wikipedia page did you look at? Maybe it needs to be clarified.

1. What is a simple parallel plate capacitor?

A simple parallel plate capacitor is an electronic component that stores electrical energy by using two parallel metal plates separated by a dielectric material. It is one of the most common and basic types of capacitors used in electronic circuits.

2. How does a simple parallel plate capacitor work?

A simple parallel plate capacitor works by creating an electric field between the two plates. When a voltage is applied to the capacitor, one plate becomes positively charged and the other becomes negatively charged. This creates an electric field between the plates, which stores electrical energy.

3. What is the capacitance of a simple parallel plate capacitor?

The capacitance of a simple parallel plate capacitor is determined by the area of the plates, the distance between them, and the dielectric constant of the material between the plates. It can be calculated using the formula C = εA/d, where C is the capacitance, ε is the dielectric constant, A is the area of the plates, and d is the distance between them.

4. What factors affect the capacitance of a simple parallel plate capacitor?

The capacitance of a simple parallel plate capacitor is affected by the area of the plates, the distance between them, and the dielectric constant of the material between the plates. It is also influenced by the material and thickness of the plates, as well as the temperature and humidity of the environment.

5. What are some practical applications of simple parallel plate capacitors?

Simple parallel plate capacitors have a wide range of practical applications, such as storing energy in electronic devices, filtering signals in electronic circuits, and as part of power supplies and motor control circuits. They are also used in sensors, audio equipment, and many other electronic devices.