Calculating Rock Throw Height on Distant Planet

In summary, the astronaut measured the period of a simple pendulum on a distant planet and found it to be 4.7 seconds. Back on Earth, she could throw a rock 13m straight up with the same effort. Using the kinematic equations, it was determined that the displacement on the distant planet would be 2.016m. The equation for the period of a pendulum is T=2*pi*(square root of (length of pendulum/g)). The gravitational force on the distant planet was calculated to be 1.5191 m/s2. It was discussed that the effort could refer to either the force or the energy expended in throwing the ball. Finally, it was determined that the height the rock could reach
Meowzers
"On the moon of a distant planet, an astrnaut measures the period of a simple pendulum, 0.85m long, and finds it is 4.7 seconds. Back on Earth, she could throw a rock 13m straight up (while wearing her spacesuit). With the same efoort, how far up can she throw the same rock at her present location? Ignore the effects of air resistance."

I calculated the g on the distant planet to be 1.5191 m/s from using T=2*pi*(square root of L/g).

Okay, maybe I'm thinking too much for the 2nd part of my work, but I can't seem to figure out how to calculate how high up the ball will travel on the distant planet. It should be higher than 13m because there's less gravitational force acting upon the ball to make it come back down, right?

Physics news on Phys.org
The kinematic equations will work the same on the distant planet, I think.

Dorothy

Sorry, I just read my note, and it sounds pretty rude. I didn't mean it to come across that way.

But the idea is to use the kinematic equations. You can use ratios, or calculate the time or whatever.

Dorothy

Well I tried to use one of them, and I got 2.016 m as the displacement.

It just doesn't make sense to me that with using the same amount of force on a different planet with less acceleration due to gravity would make the ball reach a lower height.

Can anyone explain please?

This question must be split into a few questions

whats the equation for the period of a pendulum? Does it have the gravitational force in it? Can you solve for the gravitational force with the information supplied in the problem?

Secondly, how much force did it take to throw the rock that high on the earth? Think potential energy/kinetic energy

How high would that much force propel the rock the the moon in question?

Remember that the energy needed to raise a rock to a level above Earth equals the potential energy the rock has at that level.

edit::I am going to work through the problem to check your solution for "g" because "g" can't be a velocity! It's an acceleration and therefore it's units are l/t^2, l=length t=time.

Last edited:
I'd like to know how you got the correct answer for g without squaring pi and the incorrect units. But anyways, your answer for g is correct. So now just simply use the equation [tex]E_{p}=mgh[/tex] to find out how much energy the astronaught used to throw the rock that high, then using the energy, solve [tex]h=\frac{E_{p}}{mg}[/tex] with the new g to find the height.

Question to others, not the OP: What is effort? Does effort mean the same force pushing against the ball, or the same amount of energy expended in throwing the ball? I'll post back after I've had a few minutes to actually think about if these two approaches results in different outcomes.

Checkfate said:
I'd like to know how you got the correct answer for g without squaring pi and the incorrect units. But anyways, your answer for g is correct. So now just simply use the equation [tex]E_{p}=mgh[/tex] to find out how much energy the astronaught used to throw the rock that high, then using the energy, solve [tex]h=\frac{E_{p}}{mg}[/tex] with the new g to find the height.

The equation is straight from my book - I only forgot to write out m/s2 instead of m/s.

Period of pendulum: T=2*pi*(square root of (length of pendulum/g)
4.7s = 2*pi*(square root of (0.8s/g))
Square both sides and divide both sides by 4pi^2 to get:
.5595 = 0.85/g
g = 1.5191 m/s2

Anyways, I set the energies equal to each other since I don't know the mass of the rock. g1*13 = g2*x

Thanks everyone for your help! :)

drpizza said:
Question to others, not the OP: What is effort? Does effort mean the same force pushing against the ball, or the same amount of energy expended in throwing the ball? I'll post back after I've had a few minutes to actually think about if these two approaches results in different outcomes.

Nope, I was over-thinking the problem... it doesn't matter. The effort can be thought of as the amount of energy transferred to the ball being the same.

Try this since you already found the gravitational force of the other planet: multiply the 13m by 9.8m/s^2 to get 127.4. Then divide 127.4 by 1.519 m/s^2 to get 83.87m. I believe this is right maybe someone else could comment on it verifying if its right or not.

1. How do you calculate the rock throw height on a distant planet?

To calculate the rock throw height on a distant planet, you will need to know the planet's gravity and the initial velocity of the rock. You can use the equation h = (v^2 * sin^2θ)/2g, where h is the height, v is the initial velocity, θ is the angle of the throw, and g is the gravity of the planet.

2. How do you determine the gravity of a distant planet?

The gravity of a distant planet can be determined by its mass and radius. You can use the equation g = G * M/R^2, where g is the gravity, G is the gravitational constant, M is the mass of the planet, and R is the radius of the planet. These values can usually be found in scientific databases or through observations made by spacecrafts.

3. Can you calculate the rock throw height on any planet?

Yes, you can calculate the rock throw height on any planet as long as you have the necessary information such as the gravity and initial velocity. However, the value of the height may vary depending on the planet's unique characteristics.

4. How does the rock throw height differ on different planets?

The rock throw height on different planets will vary based on their gravity and atmospheric conditions. Planets with higher gravity will result in a lower throw height, while those with lower gravity will have a higher throw height. Additionally, planets with denser atmospheres may experience air resistance, which can affect the height of the throw.

5. Are there any other factors that may affect the calculation of rock throw height on a distant planet?

Yes, there are other factors that may affect the calculation of rock throw height on a distant planet. These include the shape and composition of the planet, as well as the rotation and tilt of its axis. These factors can influence the planet's gravity and atmospheric conditions, ultimately affecting the height of the throw.