Simple Pendulum Acceleration: Solving for Period and Mass Changes

In summary: Okay so I have the length. I solved for the torque (hopefully correctly) by doing the weight of the mass times that length. For the moment of inertia, would it just be for a point mass MR^2? When I solve it this way, my acceleration just comes out as gravity and it's incorrect.Oh, the torque is wrongly calculated. You must take into account the angle between the rope and the vertical direction. The torque you got is the torque at the time the rope is in horizontal position. Remember how to calculate torque? :confused:But what you got is NOT the centripetal acceleration. It's the component perpendicular to the rope. And, again, at the time when the bob
SuperCass

Homework Statement

A simple pendulum of mass 19 kg is displaced an angle of 13 degrees from vertical and released. It now has a period of 2 sec.
a) Its mass is doubled. What is its period now?
T2m = 2 sec

b) Its length is doubled. What is its period now?
T2L = 2.828 s

c) What if the original pendulum is only displaced a distance of 6.5 before being released. What is its period now?
TΘ/2 = 2 sec

d) The original pendulum is taken to a planet where g = 15 m/s2. What is its period on that planet?
T = 1.6174 s

e) Let's go back to the original pendulum of mass 19 kg with a period of 2 sec, displaced an angle of 13 degrees from the vertical. What would its acceleration be in the vertical (y) direction as it reachs the lowest point on its swing?
ay = _______ m/sec2

Homework Equations

T=2[tex]\Pi[/tex][tex]\sqrt{L/g}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I solved all of the questions except for part e.
I thought it might be zero, but that didn't work.
I'm not sure what to do since I don't know the length or anything.

Thanks for your help in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
The bob is in circular motion, right? So how is the component of the acceleration towards the center in circular motion called? It has its own specific name. I hope you remember it :)

hikaru1221 said:
The bob is in circular motion, right? So how is the component of the acceleration towards the center in circular motion called? It has its own specific name. I hope you remember it :)

Centripetal acceleration? But how do I find that if I don't know the radius?

Is the radius the length of the rope? :)

Oh I see! Forgot I could solve for that!

Okay so I have the length. I solved for the torque (hopefully correctly) by doing the weight of the mass times that length. For the moment of inertia, would it just be for a point mass MR^2? When I solve it this way, my acceleration just comes out as gravity and it's incorrect.Thank you thank you again!

SuperCass said:
Okay so I have the length. I solved for the torque (hopefully correctly) by doing the weight of the mass times that length. For the moment of inertia, would it just be for a point mass MR^2? When I solve it this way, my acceleration just comes out as gravity and it's incorrect.

Oh, the torque is wrongly calculated. You must take into account the angle between the rope and the vertical direction. The torque you got is the torque at the time the rope is in horizontal position. Remember how to calculate torque? :confused:
But what you got is NOT the centripetal acceleration. It's the component perpendicular to the rope. And, again, at the time when the bob is at the horizontal position, isn't that component equal to gravitational acceleration? It's a big problem, be careful! :cry:
Luckily you found it's incorrect :approve: Cheers!

Thanks again for your help. I just can't figure this out!

1. What is a simple pendulum?

A simple pendulum is a weight (known as the bob) suspended from a fixed point by a string or rod. When the bob is set in motion, it swings back and forth in a regular pattern known as an oscillation.

2. How is acceleration calculated in a simple pendulum?

The acceleration of a simple pendulum can be calculated using the equation a = -g * sin(θ), where a is the acceleration, g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2), and θ is the angle of displacement from the vertical.

3. What factors affect the acceleration of a simple pendulum?

The acceleration of a simple pendulum is affected by the length of the string, the mass of the bob, and the angle of displacement from the vertical. It is also influenced by external factors such as air resistance and friction.

4. How does the angle of displacement affect the acceleration of a simple pendulum?

The acceleration of a simple pendulum is directly proportional to the sine of the angle of displacement. This means that as the angle increases, the acceleration also increases, and vice versa.

5. How does a simple pendulum demonstrate the concept of uniform circular motion?

A simple pendulum demonstrates uniform circular motion because the bob moves in a circular path at a constant speed. This is due to the acceleration being perpendicular to the velocity, resulting in a constant change in direction but not speed.