Simple Physics Problem - Acceleration Formula

In summary, the problem involves a cart rolling down an incline for 6 seconds with an initial speed of 2 meters per second and a 5 meter long incline. The formula for acceleration is a= v1 - v2 / t and to find the final velocity, the formula x = x_0 + v_0 t + (1/2) a t^2 can be used. The variables in this formula are x representing final position, x_0 representing initial position, v_0 representing initial velocity, t representing time, and a representing acceleration.
Dumblydore
1. A cart is rolling down an incline for 6 seconds. If the cart has a begginning speed of 2 meters per second and the incline is 5 meters long, what is the carts acceleration?

2. a= v1 - v2 / t

3. I'm just learning the acceleration formula in my physics class. I left my science book at school, thinking I would not need it because the worksheet we were given looked simple. But teacher threw in this problem and I'm not sure what to do about the incline. I need my final velocity to figure out the problem, but I'm sure what I do with the 5 meter long incline to get the final velocity.

Physics news on Phys.org
try to use [tex] x = x_0 + v_0 t + (1/2) a t^2 [/tex]

I'm not sure what all the variables in that formula are. I just need someone to explain how to get the final velocity.

x is final position, x_0 is initial position, v_0 is initial velocity, t is time, a = acceleration.

1. What is the acceleration formula?

The acceleration formula is a = (vf - vi)/t, where a is acceleration, vf is final velocity, vi is initial velocity, and t is time.

2. How do you calculate acceleration?

Acceleration is calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the time it took for that change to occur. This can be represented by the formula a = (vf - vi)/t.

3. How is acceleration related to velocity and time?

Acceleration is directly proportional to the change in velocity and inversely proportional to the change in time. This means that as the velocity increases, the acceleration also increases, and as the time increases, the acceleration decreases.

4. What are the units for acceleration?

The units for acceleration are meters per second squared (m/s^2) in the metric system and feet per second squared (ft/s^2) in the imperial system.

5. What are some real-world examples of acceleration?

Some real-world examples of acceleration include a car speeding up or slowing down, a roller coaster going down a hill, a person jumping off a diving board, and a ball rolling down a ramp.