1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple probability question that I want to have work checked

1. Aug 31, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A manufacturing machine produces defects with a probability of 0.1%. How many parts must the machine produce to have a 99.9% chance of producing at least 1 defective part?

2. Relevant equations

P(A) + P(B) = 1

3. The attempt at a solution

A in this case is the machine produces at least one defective part
    B is the case when the machine produces all good parts

The probability that the machine produces a good part in the first try is:
    P(B) = 1 - .001 = .999

The probability that the machine produces two good parts consecutively is:
    P(B) = .999*.999 = .999^2

So I assume the probability that the machine produces n good parts consecutively would be:
    P(B) = .999^n

Therefore the probability that the machine produces at least 1 bad part part within n consecutive parts must be:
    P(A) = 1 - .999^n

Using P(A) = .999 and solving for n.

.999 = 1 - .999^n

ln(.001)/(ln(.999) = n = 6904.3 = 6905 parts

Does that make sense? That we need to produce 6905 parts to have a 99.9 percent chance of 1 defective part?

Last edited: Sep 1, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 1, 2015 #2

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The probability that all of the first ##n## parts are good is ##P_n = 0.999^n##, so the complement of that is the probability that not all of the first ##n## parts are good. Your use of the word "after" threw me; I would rather use the word "among" or "within", because that is exactly what the quantity ##1-P_n## would mean.

Anyway, you computations make sense and are also correct.

PS: why do you write in all bold font? It makes it look like you are shouting!

4. Sep 1, 2015 #3
    Oops sorry. I clicked the space after the 3rd question, and everything after that came out bold. I just realized now that there is a formatting tool above. I'll edit that.

5. Sep 1, 2015 #4
    Thanks for taking a look. :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted