Simple probability question that I want to have work checked

In summary, to have a 99.9% chance of producing at least 1 defective part, a manufacturing machine must produce 6905 parts. This is calculated by taking the probability of all parts being good and subtracting it from 1, and then solving for the number of parts (n) using logarithms.
thepatient

Homework Statement

A manufacturing machine produces defects with a probability of 0.1%. How many parts must the machine produce to have a 99.9% chance of producing at least 1 defective part?

Homework Equations

P(A) + P(B) = 1

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
A in this case is the machine produces at least one defective part
B is the case when the machine produces all good parts

The probability that the machine produces a good part in the first try is:
P(B) = 1 - .001 = .999

The probability that the machine produces two good parts consecutively is:
P(B) = .999*.999 = .999^2

So I assume the probability that the machine produces n good parts consecutively would be:
P(B) = .999^n

Therefore the probability that the machine produces at least 1 bad part part within n consecutive parts must be:
P(A) = 1 - .999^n

Using P(A) = .999 and solving for n.

.999 = 1 - .999^n

ln(.001)/(ln(.999) = n = 6904.3 = 6905 parts

Does that make sense? That we need to produce 6905 parts to have a 99.9 percent chance of 1 defective part?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
thepatient said:

Homework Statement

A manufacturing machine produces defects with a probability of 0.1%. How many parts must the machine produce to have a 99.9% chance of producing at least 1 defective part?

Homework Equations

P(A) + P(B) = 1

The Attempt at a Solution

A in this case is the machine produces at least one defective part
B is the case when the machine produces all good parts

The probability that the machine produces a good part in the first try is:
P(B) = 1 - .001 = .999

The probability that the machine produces two good parts consecutively is:
P(B) = .999*.999 = .999^2

So I assume the probability that the machine produces n good parts consecutively would be:
P(B) = .999^n

Therefore the probability that the machine produces at least 1 bad part part after n consecutive parts must be:
P(A) = 1 - .999^n

Using P(A) = .999 and solving for n.

.999 = 1 - .999^n

ln(.001)/(ln(.999) = n = 6904.3 = 6905 parts

Does that make sense? That we need to produce 6905 parts to have a 99.9 percent chance of 1 defective part?[/B]

The probability that all of the first ##n## parts are good is ##P_n = 0.999^n##, so the complement of that is the probability that not all of the first ##n## parts are good. Your use of the word "after" threw me; I would rather use the word "among" or "within", because that is exactly what the quantity ##1-P_n## would mean.

Anyway, you computations make sense and are also correct.

PS: why do you write in all bold font? It makes it look like you are shouting!

Oops sorry. I clicked the space after the 3rd question, and everything after that came out bold. I just realized now that there is a formatting tool above. I'll edit that.

Thanks for taking a look. :smile:

1. What is simple probability?

Simple probability is a measure of the likelihood of an event occurring, expressed as a fraction or decimal between 0 and 1. It is calculated by dividing the number of favorable outcomes by the total number of possible outcomes.

2. How do you calculate simple probability?

To calculate simple probability, you need to identify the number of favorable outcomes and the total number of possible outcomes. Then, divide the number of favorable outcomes by the total number of possible outcomes. The result will be a decimal or fraction between 0 and 1, which can also be expressed as a percentage.

3. What is the difference between simple probability and conditional probability?

Simple probability is the likelihood of an event occurring without any prior knowledge or conditions. Conditional probability, on the other hand, takes into account additional information or conditions that may influence the likelihood of an event occurring.

4. Can simple probability be greater than 1?

No, simple probability cannot be greater than 1. This is because a probability of 1 means that an event is certain to occur, while a probability of 0 means that an event is impossible. Any value greater than 1 would not make sense in terms of probability.

5. How can simple probability be used in real life?

Simple probability can be used in a variety of real-life situations, such as predicting the outcome of a coin toss, rolling a specific number on a dice, or estimating the chances of winning a game or competition. It can also be used in fields such as finance, insurance, and healthcare to assess risks and make informed decisions.