Simple Projectile Motion of ball

In summary, the building was 58m tall and the ball landed 35m from the base. The initial speed of the ball was incorrectly calculated at 22 m/s due to the incorrect use of distances. The correct initial speed, based on the given information, cannot be determined.
RedBurns
Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong here:

A ball is thrown horizontally from the roof of a building 58 m tall and lands 35 m from the base. What was the ball's initial speed?

X0= 0m Y0= 0m
X= 58 m Y= 35 m
Vx=? Vy=0 m/s
Ax=0 m/s/s Ax=-9.8 m/s/s
T=?

35=0+0T-.5(-9.8)T^2
T=2.6 s

58=0+Vx(2.6)
Vx= 22 m/s <----------I know this is wrong

Physics news on Phys.org
RedBurns said:
Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong here:

A ball is thrown horizontally from the roof of a building 58 m tall and lands 35 m from the base. What was the ball's initial speed?

X0= 0m Y0= 0m
X= 58 m Y= 35 m
Vx=? Vy=0 m/s
Ax=0 m/s/s Ax=-9.8 m/s/s
T=?

35=0+0T-.5(-9.8)T^2
T=2.6 s

58=0+Vx(2.6)
Vx= 22 m/s <----------I know this is wrong
You've got your distances reversed! The building is 58m tall- that's the vertical distance: Y= 58m. The ball went 35 m horizontally: X= 35m

Thanks! I should have known it was something like that after cheking my math so any times

What is simple projectile motion?

Simple projectile motion is the motion of an object through the air, typically in a parabolic path, under the influence of gravity and no other external forces.

What factors affect the trajectory of a ball in simple projectile motion?

The trajectory of a ball in simple projectile motion is affected by the initial velocity, angle of release, and the force of gravity.

How is the velocity of a ball calculated in simple projectile motion?

The velocity of a ball in simple projectile motion can be calculated using the equation v = u + at, where v is the final velocity, u is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration due to gravity, and t is the time.

Can a ball have different trajectories in simple projectile motion?

Yes, a ball can have different trajectories in simple projectile motion depending on the initial conditions, such as the angle of release and initial velocity.

What are some real-life examples of simple projectile motion?

Some real-life examples of simple projectile motion include throwing a ball, shooting a cannonball, and a baseball being hit by a bat.