1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple proof question (limits)

1. Jul 23, 2014 #1
    I was reviewing some of the material in my calculus textbook when I realized that I really struggle with writing proofs. Therefore, I decided to attempt one of the easier proof related exercises found in the book. I would ask my teacher for help, but I am off for summer break.
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Prove that if the limit x->c of f(x) exists and limit x->c of [f(x)+g(x)] does not exist, then limit x->c of g(x) does not exist

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    Based on the properties of limits, if limit x→c of f(x)=L and limit x→c of g(x)=K, then the limit x→c of [f(x)+g(x)]=L+K. So let us assume that the limit x→c of g(x) does exist and is equal to K, and the limit x→c f(x) is equal to L. If that is so, then limit x→c of [f(x)+g(x)] must exist and is equal to L+K. However this creates a contradiction, as it was stated that limit x→c of [f(x)+g(x)] does not exist and therefore ≠ L+K. Therefore lim x→c of g(x) cant exist, else a contradiction is created.

So I tried to do a "proof by contradiction"... was I successful? If not, where exactly did I go wrong? Thanks

2. Relevant equations

2. Relevant equations

2. Relevant equations

2. Relevant equations

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 23, 2014 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Yes, that is exactly right.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted