Simple proof question (limits)

In summary, The conversation discusses a struggle with writing proofs in calculus and the attempt to prove a statement using proof by contradiction. The statement involves limits and the conclusion is that the limit of g(x) does not exist based on the properties of limits and the assumption that the limit of [f(x)+g(x)] does not exist.
htaMandPhysics
I was reviewing some of the material in my calculus textbook when I realized that I really struggle with writing proofs. Therefore, I decided to attempt one of the easier proof related exercises found in the book. I would ask my teacher for help, but I am off for summer break.

Homework Statement

Prove that if the limit x->c of f(x) exists and limit x->c of [f(x)+g(x)] does not exist, then limit x->c of g(x) does not exist

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Based on the properties of limits, if limit x→c of f(x)=L and limit x→c of g(x)=K, then the limit x→c of [f(x)+g(x)]=L+K. So let us assume that the limit x→c of g(x) does exist and is equal to K, and the limit x→c f(x) is equal to L. If that is so, then limit x→c of [f(x)+g(x)] must exist and is equal to L+K. However this creates a contradiction, as it was stated that limit x→c of [f(x)+g(x)] does not exist and therefore ≠ L+K. Therefore lim x→c of g(x) can't exist, else a contradiction is created.

So I tried to do a "proof by contradiction"... was I successful? If not, where exactly did I go wrong? Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, that is exactly right.

1. What is a limit in mathematics?

A limit in mathematics is a fundamental concept used to describe the behavior of a function as its input approaches a certain value. It represents the value that a function is approaching, rather than the actual value of the function at that point.

2. How do you solve a simple limit question?

To solve a simple limit question, you can use algebraic manipulation or substitution to evaluate the limit at the specified value. You can also use the limit laws and basic rules of limits to simplify the expression and find the limit.

3. What are the types of limits in mathematics?

There are three main types of limits in mathematics: one-sided limits, infinite limits, and limits at infinity. One-sided limits are used when the function approaches a value from the left or right side. Infinite limits occur when the function approaches positive or negative infinity. Limits at infinity are used when the function approaches infinity as the input value increases or decreases without bound.

4. Why are limits important in mathematics?

Limits are important in mathematics because they allow us to understand and describe the behavior of functions. They are used in various fields of mathematics, such as calculus, to calculate derivatives and integrals, and in real-world applications to model and predict the behavior of systems.

5. Can a limit not exist?

Yes, a limit may not exist if the function does not approach a specific value or if it approaches different values from the left and right sides. This can occur at points of discontinuity, such as holes or vertical asymptotes, or when the function oscillates infinitely between two values.