Solve Quadratic Equation for Single or Multiple Intersections with the x-axis

• Thread starter undefinable
  • Start date
You get two intervals. Those values of k make the curve positive. If you think about it k(k-4) > 0 means both k and (k-4) are positive - or both are negative. From the graph you can see the values of k which make the curve positive are k < 0 or k > 4. Does that help? In summary, to find the values of k for the graph of y=9x^2 + 3kx + k to intersect the x-axis in two points, one must solve the quadratic inequality 9k^{2}-36k>0, which leads to the conclusion that k<0 or k>4. For the graph to
undefinable

Homework Statement

Find k such that the graph of y=9x^2 + 3kx + k
A) intersects the x-axis in one point only
B) intersects the x-axis in two points
C) does not intersect the x-axis

Homework Equations

D= b^2 − 4ac
y= ax^2+bx+c
quadratic equation

The Attempt at a Solution

I got A but using the discriminent b^2-4ac= 0 meaning there is one root. but I have no idea how to get B and C. The answer is

B) k < 0 or k >4
C) 0<k<4

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]y=9x^{2}+3kx+k[/tex], so a=9, b=3k, c=k, now

A) [tex]D=b^{2}-4ac=0[/tex] so we will have two identical solutions, and the graph will touch the x-axis. Probbably you meant here to touch , because it does not really intersect.
B) D>0
C)D<0

SInce a=9>0 it means that the parabola will be opened upward. So when D<0, it means that the parabola does not intersect the x-axis at all, since the quadratic equation [tex]9x^{2}+3kx+k=0[/tex] does not have real roots, while when D>0, it means that there are two distinct roots of the quadratic equation.

Do u know how to go about it now?

Still don't understand.

For A, by using b^2-4ac= 0 I got the answer that k=0 (which is correct)
For B, I still don't understand how to achieve this answer k < 0 or k >4. How can I work with my equations to conclude that Teh values of k must be k< 0 or k >4 for y=9x^2 + 3kx + k to intersect two places.

well B)[tex]D=b^{2}-4ac>0 =>(3k)^2-4*(9)*(k)>0=>9k^{2}-36k>0[/tex] , do you know how to solve this quadratic inequality?

One method for doint it is like this

[tex]9k^{2}-36k>0=>k^{2}-4k>0=> k(k-4)>0[/tex] then this is greater then zero if:1) k>0, and k-4>0, or 2) k<0 and k-4<0

another method is to first graph the function [tex]y=9k^{2}-36k[/tex] and see at what intervals the function is positive, that is above x-axis.

Last edited:
undefinable said:
For A, by using b^2-4ac= 0 I got the answer that k=0 (which is correct)

No.

b^2-4ac = 9k^2 - 36k.

9k^2 - 36k = 0 is a quadratic equation, and it has two solutions.

You only found one solution (k = 0) - what is the other? :smile:

^ Right, 0 and 4, lol

I'm getting the numbers but I'm not getting the greater than and less than signs.

Referring to [tex]9k^{2}-36k>0=>k^{2}-4k>0=> k(k-4)>0[/tex] I got that but then what I concluded from that is k>0 and K>4. HOw can I end up with K<0 ?

Try graphing the quadratic y = k2 - 4k. We are looking for when y > 0. What values of k give that?

undefinable said:
Right, 0 and 4, lol

Hurrah! :smile:

Referring to [tex]9k^{2}-36k>0=>k^{2}-4k>0=> k(k-4)>0[/tex] I got that but then what I concluded from that is k>0 and K>4. HOw can I end up with K<0 ?

Stop! … think! … k(k-4)>0 … try a few example for k …

Got it? :smile:

undefinable said:
^ Right, 0 and 4, lol

I'm getting the numbers but I'm not getting the greater than and less than signs.

i perfectly well explained it in my post #4, that

[tex]k(k-4)>0[/tex] is possible in two cases

[tex]
k>0 \ \ and \ \ k-4>0 \ or \ \ k<0 \ and \ \ k-4<0
[/tex] think about this!

Last edited:
It may be easier to do k(k-4) > 0 graphically - the find the intervals for which the curve is above the k axis. Sketching that should be easy.

What is a simple quadratics question?

A simple quadratics question is a mathematical problem that involves finding the roots or solutions of a quadratic equation, which is an equation in the form of ax^2 + bx + c = 0. It is a fundamental concept in algebra and is often used to model real-life situations.

What are the steps to solve a simple quadratics question?

The first step is to identify the values of a, b, and c in the given quadratic equation. Then, you can use the quadratic formula or factoring method to find the solutions. Finally, check your answers by plugging them back into the original equation.

What is the quadratic formula and how is it used to solve simple quadratics questions?

The quadratic formula is x = (-b ± √(b^2 - 4ac)) / 2a, where a, b, and c are the coefficients in the quadratic equation. To use the formula, plug in the values of a, b, and c and then simplify to find the solutions.

What is factoring and how is it used to solve simple quadratics questions?

Factoring is the process of finding the factors of a polynomial expression. In solving simple quadratics questions, factoring can be used to rewrite the quadratic equation as a product of two binomials, making it easier to find the solutions.

What are the real-life applications of simple quadratics questions?

Quadratic equations can be used to model various real-life situations, such as projectile motion, profit and loss analysis, and population growth. They are also commonly used in engineering, physics, and economics.