1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple quadratics question

1. Mar 5, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find k such that the graph of y=9x^2 + 3kx + k
    A) intersects the x-axis in one point only
    B) intersects the x-axis in two points
    C) does not intersect the x-axis

2. Relevant equations
    D= b^2 − 4ac
    y= ax^2+bx+c
    quadratic equation

3. The attempt at a solution
    I got A but using the discriminent b^2-4ac= 0 meaning there is one root. but I have no idea how to get B and C. The answer is

B) k < 0 or k >4
    C) 0<k<4

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 5, 2008 #2
    [tex]y=9x^{2}+3kx+k[/tex], so a=9, b=3k, c=k, now

A) [tex]D=b^{2}-4ac=0[/tex] so we will have two identical solutions, and the graph will touch the x-axis. Probbably you meant here to touch , because it does not really intersect.
    B) D>0
    C)D<0

SInce a=9>0 it means that the parabola will be opened upward. So when D<0, it means that the parabola does not intersect the x-axis at all, since the quadratic equation [tex]9x^{2}+3kx+k=0[/tex] does not have real roots, while when D>0, it means that there are two distinct roots of the quadratic equation.

Do u know how to go about it now?

4. Mar 5, 2008 #3
    Still don't understand.

For A, by using b^2-4ac= 0 I got the answer that k=0 (which is correct)
    For B, I still don't understand how to achieve this answer k < 0 or k >4. How can I work with my equations to conclude that Teh values of k must be k< 0 or k >4 for y=9x^2 + 3kx + k to intersect two places.

5. Mar 5, 2008 #4
    well B)[tex]D=b^{2}-4ac>0 =>(3k)^2-4*(9)*(k)>0=>9k^{2}-36k>0[/tex] , do you know how to solve this quadratic inequality?????

One method for doint it is like this

[tex]9k^{2}-36k>0=>k^{2}-4k>0=> k(k-4)>0[/tex] then this is greater then zero if:1) k>0, and k-4>0, or 2) k<0 and k-4<0

another method is to first graph the function [tex]y=9k^{2}-36k[/tex] and see at what intervals the function is positive, that is above x-axis.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2008
  6. Mar 5, 2008 #5

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No.

b^2-4ac = 9k^2 - 36k.

9k^2 - 36k = 0 is a quadratic equation, and it has two solutions.

You only found one solution (k = 0) - what is the other? :smile:

7. Mar 5, 2008 #6
    ^ Right, 0 and 4, lol

I'm getting the numbers but I'm not getting the greater than and less than signs.

Referring to [tex]9k^{2}-36k>0=>k^{2}-4k>0=> k(k-4)>0[/tex] I got that but then what I concluded from that is k>0 and K>4. HOw can I end up with K<0 ?

8. Mar 5, 2008 #7
    Try graphing the quadratic y = k2 - 4k. We are looking for when y > 0. What values of k give that?

9. Mar 5, 2008 #8

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hurrah! :smile:

Stop! … think! … k(k-4)>0 … try a few example for k …

Got it? :smile:

10. Mar 5, 2008 #9
    i perfectly well explained it in my post #4, that

[tex]k(k-4)>0[/tex] is possible in two cases

[tex]
    k>0 \ \ and \ \ k-4>0 \ or \ \ k<0 \ and \ \ k-4<0
    [/tex] think about this!!!

Last edited: Mar 5, 2008
  11. Mar 6, 2008 #10

Gib Z

Homework Helper

It may be easier to do k(k-4) > 0 graphically - the find the intervals for which the curve is above the k axis. Sketching that should be easy.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?