How Do Series and Parallel Resistor Configurations Affect Current Flow?

• Thread starter twotaileddemon
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Circuits
In summary, the current through a resistor in series is the sum of the individual resistors' currents. The current through a resistor in parallel is the product of the individual resistors' currents.
twotaileddemon
A student is provided with a 12 V battery of negligible internal resistance and four resistors with the following resistances: 100 ohms, 30 ohms, 20 ohms, and 10 ohms. The student also has plenty of wire of negligble resistance available to make connections as desired.

Draw a circuit diagram in which each resistor has a nonzero current flowing through it, but which the current from the battery is as small as possible. Then, draw one in which the current from the battery is as large as possible without short circuiting the battery.

For the first one, the one with that would produce the smallest current, I drew all the resistors in series because current remains constant, I=V/R=12/(100+30+20+10)=.075 A, and that was the smallest I could find...

For the second, the one that would produce the largest current overall. I drew all the resistors in parallel, found the total R to be 5.17 (I know this is right) and then each current on each resistor to be .12 A, .4 A, .6 A, and 1.2A (I know these are right as well), making the overall current 2.32 A.

My question is this: Am I correct in assuming that parallel combinations create the largest current while series combinations create the smallest current? I don't need to be told how to do it, just a simple yes or no would be helpful really. No math involved, as I'm sure my numbers are right.

Thank you for your time and reading this. I appreciate it immensely.:rofl:

Physics news on Phys.org
Well I won't give you a yes or no. Rather, can you find the equivalent resistance for each configuration (series and parallel)? If you put the equivalent resistance in series with source voltage, what do you notice about the current through the resistor? What can you conclude from this? You can even do more examples to convince yourself. Just choose random resistance and source voltage, then see how they stack up in series and parallel.

Last edited:
Okay, so I'll just play around with different ways of putting the resistors in order and I'll see if my assumtion is logical or not.. thank you very much :D

1. What is a circuit?

A circuit is a complete and closed path or loop through which electricity can flow. It is made up of various components, including a power source, conductors, and resistors, and is used to control the flow of electricity to power devices.

2. What is the difference between a series and parallel circuit?

In a series circuit, all components are connected in a single loop, with the current passing through each component in order. In a parallel circuit, the components are connected in multiple branches, with some components receiving more current than others. This means that if one component fails in a series circuit, the entire circuit will stop working, whereas in a parallel circuit, the other components will continue to function.

3. How do I calculate the voltage, current, and resistance in a circuit?

According to Ohm's Law, voltage (V) is equal to current (I) multiplied by resistance (R), or V=IR. This means that if you know any two of these values, you can calculate the third. Additionally, the total resistance in a series circuit is equal to the sum of each individual resistor, while the total resistance in a parallel circuit is calculated using the formula 1/Rt = 1/R1 + 1/R2 + 1/R3 + ...

4. What is a short circuit?

A short circuit occurs when there is a low-resistance connection between two points in a circuit that are not intended to be connected. This can cause a sudden increase in current, which can damage components and potentially start a fire. To prevent short circuits, it is important to use proper insulation and avoid making accidental connections between different points in a circuit.

5. How do I troubleshoot a circuit that is not working?

The first step in troubleshooting a circuit is to check the power source and make sure it is functioning properly. Then, check each component in the circuit to ensure they are connected correctly and not damaged. Using a multimeter to measure voltage, current, and resistance at different points in the circuit can also help identify the issue. If all components are working and connected correctly, the problem may lie in the wiring or connections, which should be inspected and repaired if necessary.