1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple question out of div,grad,curl & all that

1. Feb 20, 2006 #1
    I am going through the first chapter of div,grad,curl and all that and am a bit confused about problem 6. The question is:

Show that the field lines y=y(x) of a vector function

[tex]F(x,y)=F_x(x,y)i+F_y(x,y)j[/tex] are solutions of the differential equation [tex]\frac{dy} {dx} = \frac{F_y(x,y)} {F_x(x,y)}[/tex]

I am not very good with calculus do to some conflict in my schedule that has forced me to put off multivariable calculus(I do know the basics of it though and can do simple 2 variable differentiation). Can anyone give me any guidance? I am not even really sure I understand the problem very well so I am not sure how to start, the y=y(x) is sort of throwing me off. Thanks
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 21, 2006 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

dy/dx is the derivative (i.e. slope-function) of the curve y(x).

At a given point (x,y), what does the ratio of these vector components Fy/Fx represent?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?