Calculating Heat Generation in Gear Reducers: A Simple Question [SOLVED]

• Thread starter Drifter
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses a question about the heat generated from friction in a gear reducer with a 4:1 ratio. The question involves switching the gears and the potential increase in heat due to the higher ratio. The conversation also mentions the linear relationship between speed and frictional loss.
Drifter
[SOLVED] Simple Question?

I need help in solving a friendly debate,
a simple spur gear reducer with a ratio of 4:1, pinion being 4" in circular Dia./it's Inertia is .098/ driven gear 10" in circular Dia. it's inertia is 3.86 /+ both gears are 2" in thickness/ H.P. input available is 100 H.P. @ 1000 RPM/ 0 torque requirement on output/ we'll use 1% as the friction coefficient. My question is if the gears were switched so the larger was used as input and smaller as output (1:4 speed increaser) again using 0 as the torque output, is the heat generated from friction between meshing gears going to be the same or is the speed increaser going to create more heat due to additional friction proportionately to it's ratio increase? If I'm missing required info please let me know. If you could also give me the formulas to caculate a simialar scenario, it would be greatly appreciated as I have no access to such info at the moment, or if I was given direction to a site containg such material would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
My question is if the gears were switched so the larger was used as input and smaller as output (1:4 speed increaser) again using 0 as the torque output, is the heat generated from friction between meshing gears going to be the same or is the speed increaser going to create more heat due to additional friction proportionately to it's ratio increase?
So you basically have 2 shafts, call them A and B. In one case, shaft A is going 1000rpm, and shaft B is 250rpm. In the second case, shaft B is at 1000rpm, and shaft A is at 4000rpm. This kind of frictional loss is usually close to linear, so with everything going 4 times as fast, the second case has 4 times as much loss as the first case.

Stick to the topic of the thread.
Integral

cheers,
phoenix

Last edited by a moderator:

1. How do you calculate heat generation in gear reducers?

The most common way to calculate heat generation in gear reducers is by using the formula Q = (P x T x K)/n, where Q is the heat generated (in watts), P is the power transmitted (in watts), T is the running time (in hours), K is the constant specific to the type of gear and lubricant used, and n is the gear efficiency.

2. What factors affect heat generation in gear reducers?

The main factors that affect heat generation in gear reducers are gear efficiency, lubricant viscosity, rotational speed, and load. Other factors such as ambient temperature and gear design also play a role.

3. What are the consequences of excessive heat generation in gear reducers?

Excessive heat generation in gear reducers can lead to premature wear and failure of the gears, bearings, and other components. It can also cause lubricant breakdown and lead to increased maintenance costs and downtime.

4. How can heat generation in gear reducers be reduced?

To reduce heat generation in gear reducers, it is important to select the right gear and lubricant combination, maintain proper lubrication, and ensure the gear is properly aligned and has minimal load. Additionally, using heat dissipation methods such as cooling fans or heat exchangers can also help reduce heat buildup.

5. Are there any industry standards or guidelines for calculating heat generation in gear reducers?

Yes, there are industry standards and guidelines that provide formulas and recommendations for calculating heat generation in gear reducers. Some examples include AGMA 927-A03, ISO/TR 14179-2:2001, and DIN 3996. It is important to consult these standards and guidelines along with manufacturer specifications to ensure accurate calculations.