Simple Relative Motion Police Car Problem

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a police car chasing a motorist and trying to determine how long it will take for the police car to catch up to the motorist. The participants suggest using relative motion and the formula d=vt to solve the problem, but there is confusion about the answer. It is suggested to check the number of significant digits in the solution.
mwells
Ok, here’s the question:

A motorist traveling at 89 km/hr is being chased by a police car at 115 km/hr. If the police car starts from 3.5 km back, how long does it take to catch the motorist? Leave time in hours.

Now I’m looking at this as a relative motion problem since there is no acceleration, therefore time should be equal to the distance between the cars, divided by the difference in the velocity between the two cars.

Therefor; t = (3.5 km) / [(115 km/hr) - (89 km/hr)]

Therefore; t = 0.13 hr

However it’s apparently wrong, so does anybody know what I’m doing wrong and how to fix it? Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't see what is wrong with this.

M moves 1.5km every minute
P moves 1.9km every minute
M moves 0.02km per second
P moves 0.03km per second

M+8mins = 15.4
P+8mins = 15.4

M x 8 = 11.9 + 3.5 = 15.4
P x 8 = 15.3
-------------------------------------

M+8mins = 15.4 + m4secs = 0.1 = 15.5
P+8mins = 15.3+ p4secs = 0.12 = 15.5

I did this the long way because this is the first time I tried a question like this.
so I get 8mins and 4 secs with a total distance of 15.46kms
Does it sound right?

But just because it takes that much time to be at the same distance, the question is whether or not the motorist stops. :grumpy:

EDIT I truncated your spurious digits! You must learn to use only the digits which have meaning!
Integral

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, that is the same answer as mwells got using his method. Mwells, I think there's a mistake in your solutions manual or where ever the answer is from. Your answer is correct.

What method is that? I would love to understand it.

Ill give you a hint, and I am drunk right now, so that makes this problem easy. Use relative velocity. Subtrqact their welocities from each other and then use the equation [tex] d = {V_o}t + \frac{1}{2} at^2[/tex]

Nenad said:
Ill give you a hint, and I am drunk right now, so that makes this problem easy. Use relative velocity. Subtrqact their welocities from each other and then use the equation [tex] d = {V_o}t + \frac{1}{2} at^2[/tex]
Except he needs t to solve this formula. But t is what he's looking for. a = 0 in this formula, so everything after the + disappears, and he's left with the simple d=vt formula which can be rewritten as t=d/v. But he needs d to solve this.

I also get the same answer. Is this one of those computer-graded homework assignments? It might not like your significant digits. It may or may not want you to put the word "hours" after your answer.

Let d be the distance traveled by the police car.
Let Vp = the speed of the police car
Let D be the distance traveled by the fleeing car.
Let Vc = the speed of the fleeing car.

We must have D + 3.5 = d and the time of travel (t) for each car be the same.

D = Vct
d=Vpt

Vct+3.5 = Vpt

Now solve for t,

[tex] t = \frac {3.5} {V_p - V_c}[/tex]

This is the solution given in the first post. As suggested you may need to play with the number of significant digits. (should be 2)

What is the Simple Relative Motion Police Car Problem?

The Simple Relative Motion Police Car Problem is a physics problem that involves calculating the relative speed and position of two objects moving in opposite directions. In this scenario, a police car is chasing a suspect's car in a straight line.

What is the equation used to solve the Simple Relative Motion Police Car Problem?

The equation used to solve this problem is the relative velocity equation, which is: VAB = VA - VB, where VAB is the relative velocity of object A with respect to object B, VA is the velocity of object A, and VB is the velocity of object B.

What information is needed to solve the Simple Relative Motion Police Car Problem?

To solve this problem, you will need to know the velocities of both the police car and the suspect's car, the distance between them, and the direction of their motion. You may also need to convert any given velocities into the same units before solving.

How do you determine which direction is positive in the Simple Relative Motion Police Car Problem?

In this problem, the direction of the police car's motion is typically considered to be positive, while the suspect's car's motion is negative. However, as long as you are consistent with your choice of positive direction, you can choose either car's direction as positive.

What are some real-life applications of the Simple Relative Motion Police Car Problem?

This type of problem can be applied to various scenarios, such as determining the relative speeds of two cars on a highway or calculating the relative velocities of two planes in the sky. It can also be used in collision detection systems and in analyzing the motion of celestial bodies.