1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple residue theorem question.

1. Mar 10, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

So I know how to evaluate the integral from 0 to 2pi of 1/2+cos theta. However, the question I am being asked to do has me calculate this integral from 0 to pi. I am not sure what adjustment is necessary to get the integral i am given (from 0 to pi) to the form I know how to calculate (0 to 2pi).

2. Relevant equations
    Given integral

3. The attempt at a solution
    at first I thought that since cosine is an even function I could merely double the integral's bounds and divide it by two since the integral would just pick up an extra half of a periodic function. but the constant and the fact that cosine is in the denominator made me question that idea. so as of right now i am a bit stuck.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 10, 2009 #2
    If the variable x only appears as cos(x) , then the function is even.
    Maybe it would be helpful if you could state what the integrand is.

4. Mar 10, 2009 #3
    it is exactly as i said. the integral from 0 to pi of 1/2+cos(theta) dtheta. now what i know how to evaluate is the integral from 0 to 2 pi of the previous integrand. i am just not sure how to modify the equation (if that is the correct path to take anyways).

5. Mar 10, 2009 #4
    I was confused because you said the cosine was in the denominator.
    The most straightforward way to compute the integral is to find the indefinite integral F (aka antiderivative) first, and then calculate F(pi)-F(0).

6. Mar 10, 2009 #5
    argh. i am a fool. i forgot the parentheses; cosine is in the denominator. the integrand is dtheta/(2 + cos(theta))

7. Mar 10, 2009 #6
    The function you are trying to integrate is even and 2pi-periodic, so the integral from 0 to pi is half of the integral from 0 to 2pi, as you guessed.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook