Simple residue theorem question.

In summary, the integral from 0 to pi of 1/2+cos(theta) dtheta can be calculated by taking half of the integral from 0 to 2pi, since the integrand is even and 2pi-periodic. The function can also be rewritten as dtheta/(2 + cos(theta)), and the most straightforward way to compute the integral is to find the antiderivative and then calculate the difference between the antiderivative at the upper and lower bounds.
QuantumLuck

Homework Statement

So I know how to evaluate the integral from 0 to 2pi of 1/2+cos theta. However, the question I am being asked to do has me calculate this integral from 0 to pi. I am not sure what adjustment is necessary to get the integral i am given (from 0 to pi) to the form I know how to calculate (0 to 2pi).

Homework Equations

Given integral

The Attempt at a Solution

at first I thought that since cosine is an even function I could merely double the integral's bounds and divide it by two since the integral would just pick up an extra half of a periodic function. but the constant and the fact that cosine is in the denominator made me question that idea. so as of right now i am a bit stuck.

Physics news on Phys.org
If the variable x only appears as cos(x) , then the function is even.
Maybe it would be helpful if you could state what the integrand is.

it is exactly as i said. the integral from 0 to pi of 1/2+cos(theta) dtheta. now what i know how to evaluate is the integral from 0 to 2 pi of the previous integrand. i am just not sure how to modify the equation (if that is the correct path to take anyways).

I was confused because you said the cosine was in the denominator.
The most straightforward way to compute the integral is to find the indefinite integral F (aka antiderivative) first, and then calculate F(pi)-F(0).

argh. i am a fool. i forgot the parentheses; cosine is in the denominator. the integrand is dtheta/(2 + cos(theta))

The function you are trying to integrate is even and 2pi-periodic, so the integral from 0 to pi is half of the integral from 0 to 2pi, as you guessed.

1. What is the residue theorem?

The residue theorem is a mathematical tool used in complex analysis to evaluate integrals around closed curves. It states that the value of an integral around a closed curve is equal to the sum of the residues of the function inside the curve.

2. How is the residue of a function calculated?

The residue of a function is calculated by finding the coefficient of the term with a negative power in the Laurent series expansion of the function around a singularity. This coefficient is referred to as the residue.

3. What is a simple residue theorem question?

A simple residue theorem question typically involves finding the value of a contour integral using the residue theorem. It may also involve finding the residue of a function at a given singularity.

4. Can the residue theorem be applied to any function?

No, the residue theorem is only applicable to functions that are analytic (have a derivative at every point) inside the closed curve of integration. It also requires the function to have isolated singularities (poles) inside the curve.

5. How is the residue theorem used in practical applications?

The residue theorem has many practical applications in physics, engineering, and other fields. It is used to evaluate complex integrals that arise in the study of electromagnetism, fluid dynamics, and quantum mechanics, among others. It is also used in the design and analysis of electronic circuits and filters.