1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple sound problems

1. Jan 12, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    1) a longitudinal wave with a frequency of 3 Hz takes 1.7s to travel the length of a 2.5m slinky. Determine the wavelength of the wave?
    2)One tsunami had a wavelength of 750km and traveled a distance of 3700 km in 5.3 hours.
    a) what was the speed of the wave. For reference the speed of a 747 jetliner is about 350 m/s.
    B) find the frequency
    C)find the period
    3)A person lying on an air mattress in the ocean rises and falls through 1 complete cycle every five seconds. The crests of the wave causing the motion are 20m apart. Determine
    a)frequency
    b)speed of the wave
    4)the rightmost key on a piano produces a sound wave that has a frequency of 4187.6Hz. assuming that the speed of sound is 343 find the wavelength
    5)a jet skier is moving at 8.4 ms in the direction in which the waves on a lake are moving. each time he passes over a crest, he feels a bump. the bumping frequency is 1.2 Hz and the crests are separated by 5.8m. What is the wave speed
    6)the speed of a transverse wave on a string is 450 and the wavelength is .18. the amplitude of the wave is 2mm. how much time is required for a particle of the string to move through a total distance of 1 km?

thanks for helping me!

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 12, 2009 #2

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

What are your thoughts on how to solve the problems?

I don't see what it is you are stuck on or what you have attempted.

4. Jan 12, 2009 #3
    for number 1, How can i solve this without the speed?

5. Jan 12, 2009 #4

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

Why don't you have the speed?

2.5 m in 1.7 s looks like the precursor to speed to me.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?