Finding Time T with Given Velocity and Acceleration

• Thread starter rjs123
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Velocity
In summary, to find a time T such that v(T) = 21 m/s for an object traveling in a straight line with an initial velocity of 3 m/s and acceleration a(t) = st, where s = 2 m/s^3 and t is measured in seconds, one must first integrate the acceleration function a(t) to get the velocity function v(t). The constant of integration must then be evaluated using the initial condition v(0) = 3 m/s. Finally, solving v(T) = 21 m/s will give the value of T, which in this case is approximately 4.2 seconds.
rjs123

Homework Statement

An object is traveling in a straight line with an initial velocity of 3 m/s and an acceleration a(t) = st, where s = 2 m/s ^3 and t is measured in seconds. Find a time T such that v(T) = 21 m/s.

I wanted to use v = vo + at ... to find t...but the function of a(t) is kind of confusing...also i just started physics a couple weeks ago...so bear with me.

Physics news on Phys.org
rjs123 said:

Homework Statement

An object is traveling in a straight line with an initial velocity of 3 m/s and an acceleration a(t) = st, where s = 2 m/s ^3 and t is measured in seconds. Find a time T such that v(T) = 21 m/s.

I wanted to use v = vo + at ... to find t...but the function of a(t) is kind of confusing...also i just started physics a couple weeks ago...so bear with me.

v = vo + at is true is acceleration is constant.

In general a(t), a as a function of t is given by, [itex]\displaystyle a(t)=\frac{d}{dt} v(t)[/itex], acceleration is the time derivative of the velocity.

Therefore, velocity is the anti-derivative of the acceleration.

[tex]v(t)=\int a(t)\,dt [/tex]
You will need to evaluate the constant of integration by considering the initial conditions.

If you're more comfortable treating it as a definite integral, then [itex]\displaystyle v(t)=\int_{t_0}^{t} a(t)\,dt \,.[/itex]

ok...where does the initial velocity get plugged into that equation though.

When you integrate don't you just get 1/2*at^2

I got caught up on the cubed part of the acceleration...because I am used to seeing it squared...like 9.8 m/s ^2.

hi rjs123! :smile:

(try using the X2 icon just above the Reply box :wink:)
rjs123 said:

no :confused:

(if a is constant, and you integrate a twice, you get 1/2 at2)

you have dv/dt = st, so integrate to get v :wink:

i understand it goes

x(t) = position

x'(t) = velocity

x''(t) = acceleration

to get the velocity from the acceleration just integrate...i understand that...but setting up the problem is the thing I'm having difficulty with even though it is something simple...the thing that makes me troubled is that the acceleration isn't constant.

rjs123 said:
to get the velocity from the acceleration just integrate...i understand that...but setting up the problem is the thing I'm having difficulty with even though it is something simple...the thing that makes me troubled is that the acceleration isn't constant.

That's why you want to integrate the acceleration; because it is not constant but a function of time.

You have an expression for a(t), and you want to integrate a(t). So...

rjs123 said:
ok...where does the initial velocity get plugged into that equation though.

At time t=0, the velocity is 3 m/s. When you integrate the acceleration you get a new function of t plus a constant. What do you thing that the constant should be to satisfy the conditions?

rjs123 said:

If a didn't change with time (it was constant), then when you integrate you would get [itex]\frac{1}{2}at^2[/itex], but your acceleration DOES change with time so you will end up with something different.

rjs123 said:
I got caught up on the cubed part of the acceleration...because I am used to seeing it squared...like 9.8 m/s ^2.

The 's' part isn't the acceleration - 'st' together is the acceleration. When you multiply m/s3 by seconds, you get m/s2 which are the correct units for acceleration.

I think the 's' is what's throwing you off. Try forgetting about units for the time being - the acceleration function is really just a(t)=2t. That should look more familiar for integration.

ok so...if you integrate a(t) = 2t...just becomes [tex]v(t) = t^2[/tex]...

v = vo + at

would this be the correct approach?

[tex]
21 m/s = 3 m/s + 2t(t)
[/tex]
[tex]
18 m/s = 2t^2
[/tex]
[tex]
9 m/s = t^2
[/tex]
[tex]
3 seconds = t
[/tex]

Last edited:
rjs123 said:
ok so...if you integrate a(t) = 2t...just becomes [tex]v(t) = t^2[/tex]...

You forgot about the constant of integration (and units). It should read:

[tex]v(t) = \frac{1}{2} st^2+C[/tex]

Now you need to figure out what C is equal to with the initial condition that v(0)=3 m/s

rjs123 said:
v = vo + at

would this be the correct approach?

You can't use that equation unless a is constant, which it is not. You ALREADY have an equation that tells you the velocity at any point in time (or, at least you will once you solve for C) - you just need to solve for t when v(t)=21.

SammyS said:

Therefore, velocity is the anti-derivative of the acceleration.

[tex]v(t)=\int a(t)\,dt [/tex]
You will need to evaluate the constant of integration by considering the initial conditions.

If you're more comfortable treating it as a definite integral, then [itex]\displaystyle v(t)=\int_{t_0}^{t} a(t)\,dt \,.[/itex]
I see there have been quite a few posts since my first reply. But you seem to have missed the whole point of what I stated in the quoted text above.

You have in the original problem statement that the acceleration is given by: a(t) = s·t .

Therefore, taking the integral (anti-derivative) gives: [itex]\displaystyle v(t)=\int st\,dt [/itex], where s is a constant, namely s = 2 m/s3.

Therefore, v(t) = (1/2)s t2 + C .

At t=0, we have v(0) = 3 m/s. So, what is C ?

Using that value for C and plugging-in s = 2, should give you v(t) .

Then solve v(T) = 21 m/s for T .

SammyS said:
I see there have been quite a few posts since my first reply. But you seem to have missed the whole point of what I stated in the quoted text above.

You have in the original problem statement that the acceleration is given by: a(t) = s·t .

Therefore, taking the integral (anti-derivative) gives: [itex]\displaystyle v(t)=\int st\,dt [/itex], where s is a constant, namely s = 2 m/s3.

Therefore, v(t) = (1/2)s t2 + C .

At t=0, we have v(0) = 3 m/s. So, what is C ?

Using that value for C and plugging-in s = 2, should give you v(t) .

Then solve v(T) = 21 m/s for T .

thanks i got it now...I just started 8 days ago...so this is all new to me.

c = 3

21 = t^2 + c
18 = t^2
t = 4.2 s

rjs123 said:
thanks i got it now...I just started 8 days ago...so this is all new to me.

c = 3

21 = t^2 + c
18 = t^2
t = 4.2 s

Correct :smile:

1. What is velocity?

Velocity is a measure of an object's speed and direction of motion. It is usually represented as the change in position over time, and is typically measured in meters per second (m/s) or kilometers per hour (km/h).

2. How is velocity different from speed?

While velocity and speed are both measures of how fast an object is moving, velocity also takes into account the direction of the object's motion. Speed only measures the rate of change of position, regardless of direction.

3. How can velocity be calculated?

Velocity can be calculated by dividing the change in position (displacement) by the change in time. The formula for velocity is v = d/t, where v is velocity, d is displacement, and t is time.

4. What is the difference between average velocity and instantaneous velocity?

Average velocity is the total displacement of an object divided by the total time it took to move that distance. Instantaneous velocity is the velocity of an object at a specific moment in time, and is calculated by taking the derivative of the displacement-time graph at that point.

5. How is velocity used in everyday life?

Velocity is used in many practical applications, such as calculating the speed of a car, the distance traveled by a plane, or the velocity of a ball thrown in a sports game. It is also important in understanding the motion of objects in physics and engineering.