Simplification Help: Can't Simplify Further?

• Thread starter 7yler
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about simplifying an expression and finding the derivative using implicit differentiation. The final answer is given, but the correctness is questioned and further clarification is requested.
7yler
I have worked a question down to this, but I am not sure how to simplify any further.

rcohgn.png

Physics news on Phys.org
I think that has been simplified enough. I see no way to simplify it any further...

[tex] = 3 - \frac{3x+y}{x\left(2yx^5 e^{-2y} -1\right)} [/tex] ??

But that's not really simplification :))

The original question was: suppose [tex]x^{6}e^{-2y}=ln(xy)[/tex]

Find [tex]\frac{dy}{dx}[/tex] by implicit differentiation.

That is the answer that I have come to, but it is said to be wrong.

And can you posts what you did to get to that solution?

Well, you should calculate once more the partial derivative wrt y.

1. Why can't I simplify this any further?

There are a few possible reasons why you may not be able to simplify a given equation or expression any further. It could be that the equation is already in its simplest form, or that there are variables or terms that cannot be combined any further. It's also possible that you may be missing a key step in the simplification process.

2. How can I tell if an equation is already in its simplest form?

One way to determine if an equation is in its simplest form is to look for common factors among the terms. If there are no common factors, it is likely that the equation is already in its simplest form. Additionally, if the equation is in standard form (with the highest degree term first), it is most likely in its simplest form.

3. Can I use a calculator to simplify equations?

While calculators can be helpful for performing complex calculations, they are not always reliable for simplifying equations. It's important to understand the steps involved in simplifying an equation in order to check the accuracy of a calculator's result.

4. Are there any shortcuts for simplifying equations?

There are a few common rules and shortcuts that can be used to simplify equations more efficiently. These include the distributive property, combining like terms, and factoring. However, it's important to fully understand these rules and when they can be applied before using them as shortcuts.

5. Is there a limit to how much an equation can be simplified?

In theory, an equation can always be simplified further. However, in practice, there may be a point where the resulting equation becomes too complex or difficult to solve. It's important to use your judgement and mathematical skills to determine when an equation has been sufficiently simplified.