How to Simplify and Find Derivative with Complex Fractions?

But I bet he won't do that, and will just keep on with his unformatted expressions.In summary, the conversation is about simplifying the expression (ln(2x+1/(1-x)-4x+x/(1-x)+2x))/2 and finding its derivative. The conversation also includes tips on approaching the problem and the use of LaTeX for formatting mathematical expressions. The OP initially does not provide enough information on the original problem, leading to confusion and the need for clarification.
surferbarney0729
question is...

(ln(2x+1/(1-x)-4x+x/(1-x)+2x))/2

I start by simplifying and then finding the derivative...correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
That's what I would do.

(1-x)s factor? Any tips on a start, self teaching calculus is difficult

swoodward said:
(1-x)s factor?
What are you asking?
swoodward said:
Any tips on a start, self teaching calculus is difficult

Just so we're all starting on the right page, is this what you're working with, as what you're taking the natural log of?

$$2x + \frac{1}{1 - x} - 4x + \frac{x}{1 - x} + 2x $$

What you wrote is (1/2)ln(y), with y being the expression above.

Simplifying gives you a simple log to derive.
Recall that division inside of logs means subtraction of top and bottom.
That should give you a simpler derivative to take in my opinion.

I am just looking for help on how to solve the problem.

swoodward said:
I am just looking for help on how to solve the problem.

I don't think anymore help can be given without giving the answer away.

ok, ill solve it. Hopefully someone will verify the answer I find and let me know if I am right

(1-x)^2 - 2

swoodward said:
(1-x)^2 - 2

You should learn to use LaTeX. Is the above supposed to be this?
[tex]\frac{2}{(1 - x)^2 - 2}[/tex]

swoodward said:
(1-x)^2 - 2

The denominator is ((1-x)^2-2)
=x^2-2x-1
correct?
If so, try re-checking your algebra.

I don't think that's right, but I'm not sure what the problem is, since you didn't answer the question I asked in post #4.

The title of your post is "Simplify and find derivative" so I assume that the problem is to simplify the expression and then take its derivative.

What do you get when you simplify the expression, before you take its derivative?

2(x^2-2x+2)/(1-x)

i am looking into LaTex, I apologize for my mathematical formatting computer skills

swoodward said:
2(x^2-2x+2)/(1-x)

This is quite vague, is that the simplification?
If the inside of your log looks like what what mark posted, then the 2x, 2x, and 4x, all cancel out.
The last remaining terms have common denominators so you can add them.

-2x+2+2/(1-x)

derivative = -2 + 2/(1-x)^2

I am driving many of you nuts and I thank you for your patience

swoodward said:
-2x+2+2/(1-x)

Derivative of that is correct, but isn't it inside of a natural log, and according to the original equation that was given, the simplification would be
ln((1+x)/(1-x))

ok thanks

swoodward said:
-2x+2+2/(1-x)

Yes, you are driving us nuts, because you are not being clear in who you are replying to (or you do not completely answer someone's question), and because you show only snippets of work, not the whole thing.

First thing (and Mark44 asked this already), is this what is supposed to be inside the natural log? Yes or no?
[itex]2x + \frac{1}{1 - x} - 4x + \frac{x}{1 - x} + 2x [/itex]

Second, where did the bolded come from?
swoodward said:
-2x+2+2/(1-x)

If the bolded is supposed to be a simplification of the LaTeX I wrote above, then it's wrong. Show us all of your work. Be clear and precise. Otherwise, people won't want to help you.

I feel like you just want the answer, rather than the help. If that's so you can check your answers in wolframalpha.com. It will spit out answers for you.

Test:

[tex]-2x+2+\frac { 2 }{ 1-x } [/tex]

OK, this free Chrome plug-in called "Daum Equation Editor" works quite well for those who haven't the first clue about LaTeX. It's got buttons for fraction formatting, logarithms, etc.

EDIT: And I guess this was the original problem, also formatted via Daum editor. Wanted to test the "itex" tags too: [itex]\frac { 1 }{ 2 } \ln { (2x+\frac { 1 }{ 1-x } -4x+\frac { x }{ 1-x } +2x) } [/itex].

Last edited:
Curious3141 said:
And I guess this was the original problem, also formatted via Daum editor. Wanted to test the "itex" tags too: [itex]\frac { 1 }{ 2 } \ln { (2x+\frac { 1 }{ 1-x } -4x+\frac { x }{ 1-x } +2x) } [/itex].
At 23 posts in this thread we shouldn't have to still be asking what the OP meant in the first post.

Mark44 said:
At 23 posts in this thread we shouldn't have to still be asking what the OP meant in the first post.

Yes, I agree. I hope the OP formats his actual question using the editor I suggested - it's freely available, after all.

1. What does it mean to "simplify" and "find derivative"?

Simplifying in mathematics means to reduce an expression or equation to its simplest form. Finding a derivative refers to calculating the rate of change of a function at a specific point.

2. Why is it important to simplify and find derivatives?

Simplifying and finding derivatives are important in mathematics because they allow us to solve complex equations and understand the behavior of functions. They are also crucial in many real-world applications, such as physics, engineering, and economics.

3. How do I simplify an expression or equation?

To simplify an expression or equation, you can use mathematical rules such as the distributive property, combining like terms, and simplifying fractions. You can also use algebraic manipulations, such as factoring and canceling out common terms.

4. What are the steps for finding a derivative?

The general steps for finding a derivative are as follows: 1) Identify the function and its independent variable. 2) Use the power rule, chain rule, product rule, or quotient rule to find the derivative. 3) Simplify the derivative by combining like terms. 4) Substitute the value of the independent variable to find the rate of change at a specific point.

5. Are there any tools or resources available to help simplify and find derivatives?

Yes, there are many tools and resources available to help simplify and find derivatives, such as graphing calculators, online calculators, and math software. There are also many tutorials and practice problems available online to help you understand and master these concepts.