Simplifying an Equation with Taylor Series Expansion

• Thread starter hermano
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Simplify
In summary, the conversation discusses the simplification of an equation in a paper using a Taylor series expansion in terms of sine squared. The simplified equation is achieved by substituting the Taylor expansion for (1+x)^{1/2} with |x| << 1, resulting in the equation X = e \cos\theta + R + \frac{e^2}{2R} \sin^2 \theta. The conversation also includes a request for help in simplifying a different equation using the same method.
hermano

Homework Statement

In a paper I have found there is a simplification of an equation which I do not understand.
How did they do this? Can someone explain this step by step?

Homework Equations

The euqation is as follows:

X = [itex]e \cos\theta + \sqrt{(R^2 + e^2 \sin^2 \theta)}[/itex]

X = distance
e = eccentricity
theta = angle
R = radius

Since the eccentricity is much than 1000 times smaller than the radius the above equation is simplified to:

X = [itex]e \cos\theta + R + \frac{e^2}{2R} \sin^2 \theta[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

In the paper they say that they used the Taylor series expansion in terms of [itex]\sin^2 \theta[/itex] for this simplification.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The Taylor expansion being made is that of ##(1+x)^{1/2}## with ##|x| \ll 1##:
$$
\begin{align}
(R^2 + e^2 \sin^2 \theta)^{1/2} &= R \left( 1 + \frac{e^2}{R^2} \sin^2 \theta \right)^{1/2} \\
&\approx R \left( 1 + \frac{e^2}{2 R^2} \sin^2 \theta \right) \\
&= R + \frac{e^2}{2 R} \sin^2 \theta
\end{align}
$$

Thank you DrClaude. Can you also help me to simplify the following equation using the Taylor series:

[itex](R^2-e^2 \sin^2 \theta)^{1/2}[/itex]

hermano said:
Thank you DrClaude. Can you also help me to simplify the following equation using the Taylor series:

[itex](R^2-e^2 \sin^2 \theta)^{1/2}[/itex]
Follow the example DrClaude has given, except now replace every x by (-x) in the Taylor expansion:

(1+x)^n = 1 + (n)(x) + (n)(n-1)(x^2)/2! + ...

NascentOxygen said:
Follow the example DrClaude has given, except now replace every x by (-x) in the Taylor expansion:

(1+x)^n = 1 + (n)(x) + (n)(n-1)(x^2)/2! + ...

f(x) = (1-x)^(1/2) -> f(0)= 1
f'(x) = (1/2)(1-x)^(-1/2) -> f'(0) = 1/2

So the Tyalor expansion will become:
(1-x)^(1/2) = 1 + (1/2) (x)

and not
(1-x)^(1/2) = 1 - (1/2) (x) as when I replace x by (-x) in the Taylor expansion for (1+x)^(1/2)

Or what do I wrong?

hermano said:
f(x) = (1-x)^(1/2) -> f(0)= 1
f'(x) = (1/2)(1-x)^(-1/2) -> f'(0) = 1/2
There is a minus sign missing:
$$
\begin{align}
\frac{d}{dx} (1-x)^{1/2} &= \frac{1}{2} (1-x)^{-1/2} \frac{d}{dx} (1-x) \\
&= -\frac{1}{2} (1-x)^{-1/2}
\end{align}
$$

Thanks! That's the error I have made.

1. What is Taylor Series expansion?

Taylor Series expansion is a mathematical technique used to approximate a function with a polynomial expression. It allows us to simplify complex functions into a series of simpler terms, making it easier to work with and analyze.

2. Why is Taylor Series expansion useful?

Taylor Series expansion is useful because it allows us to approximate a function at any point within its domain, even if the function is not easily calculable at that point. It also helps us to simplify complicated functions and make them more manageable.

3. How do you simplify an equation using Taylor Series expansion?

To simplify an equation using Taylor Series expansion, we first choose a point (a) within the domain of the function. Then, we take the derivatives of the function at that point, and use those derivatives to construct a polynomial expression. This polynomial expression is known as the Taylor Series and can be used to approximate the original function.

4. What is the difference between Taylor Series and Taylor Polynomial?

The Taylor Series is an infinite series of terms, while a Taylor Polynomial is a finite series of terms. The Taylor Polynomial is a truncated version of the Taylor Series, where only a certain number of terms are used to approximate the original function.

5. Can Taylor Series expansion be used for all functions?

No, Taylor Series expansion can only be used for functions that are infinitely differentiable (meaning all its derivatives exist). If a function is not infinitely differentiable, then Taylor Series expansion cannot be used to approximate it.