1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simplify the following formula with Gamma functions

1. Mar 30, 2008 #1
    [tex]\frac{\beta^\alpha \Gamma(\alpha + 1)}{\Gamma (\alpha) \beta^{\alpha+ 1}}[/tex]

= [tex]\frac{\alpha \Gamma (\alpha)}{ \beta \Gamma (\alpha)}[/tex]

= [tex]\frac{\alpha}{ \beta}[/tex]

This is the solution. In trying to get the middle expression out of the first I quickly end up with a mess. How should I approach this?
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 30, 2008 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Please try to use LaTeX tags, or write the fractions on one line using brackets. So either write
    [tex]\frac{B^a C(a + 1)}{C(a) B^(a + 1)}[/tex]
    or write
    B^a C(a + 1) / [ C(a) B^(a+1) ]

Also, what is C(a)? Is it C multiplied by a? Or is C a function and is C(a) the function value in a? Or did you forget a caret and did you mean C^a ? In the last case I get C/B which is closest to the supposed solution you gave.
  4. Mar 30, 2008 #3
    Thanks, CompuChip.
    As it turns out there is more to this that I was not given. [tex]\Gamma(\alpha)[/tex] is a function. [tex]\Gamma(n)[/tex] = (n-1)! (factorial).
  5. Mar 30, 2008 #4
    Yes, yes, the lovely Gamma function. Is this for a statistics class?
    Did you solve it after you found out about the Gamma function?
  6. Mar 30, 2008 #5
    Probability for risk management, Happyg1. Not a class though, just for kicks.
    I haven't solved it yet, I had to walk away for a while...
  7. Mar 30, 2008 #6

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

8. Mar 30, 2008 #7
    We just got finished studying the Gamma Distribution in Mathematical Stats class. It's an interesting distribution. We went through the entire derivation of the properties that tiny-tim is showing you. Very cool...and kinda morbid. Our Professor explained that the Gamma distribution is the distribution used for "life testing"...the waiting time until death. Now you know about a function that models the waiting time until a "success" (which is death) occurs.
    I love math!
  9. Mar 30, 2008 #8

[tex]\frac{\beta^\alpha \alpha\Gamma(\alpha)}{\beta^{\alpha+ 1}\Gamma (\alpha) }[/tex]

= [tex]\frac{\alpha \Gamma (\alpha)}{ \beta \Gamma (\alpha)}[/tex]

= [tex]\frac{\alpha}{ \beta}[/tex]

I like it! Maybe I will "survive".
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2008
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?