Simplify x^(n-1)⋅³√(y^2/2x^5) into Rationalised Surd Form

Homework Statement

Q7.[/B] a) Express [itex]x[/itex]^[itex](n-1)⋅³√(y^2/2x^5) [/itex] in its simplest, rationalised surd form.
b) Given that the solution to part a) is 5, and that [itex]y[/itex] can be expressed as [itex]1/x[/itex]^[itex](6n+5)/4)[/itex], determine the value of [itex]x[/itex]. Again, express your answer in rationalised surd form.

*Note, this is a non-calculator question*

Homework Equations

None, but I suppose knowledge of the index laws would be needed.

The Attempt at a Solution

I have attached my attempted workings to the sheet. While I believe to have gotten to a reasonable answer, I have no way of checking if I am right (this question has come from a sheet, not a text book). This is by far the hardest problem I've encountered with in dices thus far, so I would be very grateful if anybody could double check my work. Thank you for your time.

Attachments

Answers and Replies

You can plug your results in calculators like WolframAlpha to check them.
I don't see obvious mistakes but checking the result with a computer is easier. Some steps look unnecessary.

Edit: Oh, didn't check where the thread was.

Last edited:
SteamKing
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper

Homework Statement

Q7.[/B] a) Express [itex]x[/itex]^[itex](n-1)⋅³√(y^2/2x^5) [/itex] in its simplest, rationalised surd form.
b) Given that the solution to part a) is 5, and that [itex]y[/itex] can be expressed as [itex]1/x[/itex]^[itex](6n+5)/4)[/itex], determine the value of [itex]x[/itex]. Again, express your answer in rationalised surd form.

*Note, this is a non-calculator question*
You've posted a math problem in the Intro Physics HW forum, but I've moved to the Pre-Calculus HW forum, where it's a better fit.

In the future, please try to post your HW questions in the appropriate HW forum by subject.