1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simplify x^(n-1)⋅³√(y^2/2x^5) into Rationalised Surd Form

1. Aug 22, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Q7.
    a) Express [itex]x[/itex]^[itex](n-1)⋅³√(y^2/2x^5) [/itex] in its simplest, rationalised surd form.
    b) Given that the solution to part a) is 5, and that [itex]y[/itex] can be expressed as [itex]1/x[/itex]^[itex](6n+5)/4)[/itex], determine the value of [itex]x[/itex]. Again, express your answer in rationalised surd form.

*Note, this is a non-calculator question*
    2. Relevant equations
    None, but I suppose knowledge of the index laws would be needed.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I have attached my attempted workings to the sheet. While I believe to have gotten to a reasonable answer, I have no way of checking if I am right (this question has come from a sheet, not a text book). This is by far the hardest problem I've encountered with in dices thus far, so I would be very grateful if anybody could double check my work. Thank you for your time.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 22, 2015 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

You can plug your results in calculators like WolframAlpha to check them.
    I don't see obvious mistakes but checking the result with a computer is easier. Some steps look unnecessary.

Edit: Oh, didn't check where the thread was.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2015
  4. Aug 22, 2015 #3

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You've posted a math problem in the Intro Physics HW forum, but I've moved to the Pre-Calculus HW forum, where it's a better fit.

In the future, please try to post your HW questions in the appropriate HW forum by subject.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted