Simplifying Algebraic Expressions

In summary, to simplify 4[12-3(8-5)]-1, first solve the operations inside the parentheses or brackets, then perform any multiplications, and finally any additions or subtractions. Make sure to distribute the 3 to both 8 and 5, which will result in 4[27]-1. This simplifies to 104. Similarly, to simplify 5x-3{2x-2[x-2(1-x)]}, first distribute the 2 to the expressions inside the parentheses, then distribute the 3 to the resulting expressions, and finally combine like terms to simplify the expression.
Jimmy84

Homework Statement

simplify 4[12-3(8-5)]-1

and simplify 5x-3{2x-2[x-2(1-x)]}

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org

The attempt at a solution, please.

Norway said:
The attempt at a solution, please.

I haven't reviewed any algebra for years so I don't remeber how could this be simplified.

what i tried was

in 4[12-3(8-5)]-1 I just tried to sovle 4[ 9(3)]-1 = 4[27]-1 = 4 [26] = 104
but I guess that's not what i was told to do.

The first one is just arithmetic - not algebra.

4[12 - 3(8 - 5)] - 1

Take care of the operations inside of parentheses or brackets first, then multiplications, and finally additions/subtractions.

In particular 12 - 3(8 -5) is not equal to 9(8 - 5).

Keep the same ideas in mind for the second problem.

FAQ: Simplifying Algebraic Expressions

What is the purpose of simplifying 4[12-3(8-5)]-1?

The purpose of simplifying 4[12-3(8-5)]-1 is to reduce the expression to its simplest form by following the order of operations. This helps to make the expression easier to understand and work with.

What is the order of operations when simplifying 4[12-3(8-5)]-1?

The order of operations is a set of rules that dictate the order in which mathematical operations should be performed. In this expression, we follow the acronym PEMDAS: Parentheses, Exponents, Multiplication and Division (left to right), and Addition and Subtraction (left to right).

How do I simplify 4[12-3(8-5)]-1?

To simplify this expression, we first start by solving the innermost parentheses, 8-5, which equals 3. This leaves us with 4[12-3(3)]-1. Next, we multiply 3 by 3, which gives us 4[12-9]-1. Then, we solve the remaining parentheses, 12-9, which equals 3. Our expression now becomes 4[3]-1. Finally, we multiply 4 by 3, which gives us the final answer of 12-1, or 11.

Why is it important to follow the order of operations when simplifying an expression?

Following the order of operations ensures that the expression is solved correctly and consistently. It also helps to avoid confusion and mistakes when working with more complex expressions. Without following the correct order, the answer may be incorrect or different from what was intended.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when simplifying an expression like 4[12-3(8-5)]-1?

Some common mistakes to avoid when simplifying an expression like 4[12-3(8-5)]-1 include forgetting to solve the innermost parentheses first, not following the order of operations, and making calculation errors. It is important to carefully work through each step and double-check the final answer to ensure accuracy.