Simplifying Integration by Parts: Solving ∫ln(x+x^2)dx Using the Hint x(1+x)

In summary: So you integrate ln(x) and ln(1+ x) separately.In summary, the conversation discusses how to integrate ∫ln(x+x^2)dx and suggests using the hint given by the professor of x(1+x) and breaking up the expression into simpler parts. It is also mentioned that the log of a product can be simplified to the sum of the logs. The conversation then goes on to explain the process of finding the integral, with the final answer being ln(x^2+1)*x-2x+2 taninverse x+C.
klancello
Hello. I'm attempting to integrat ∫ln(x+x^2)dx
Our professor gave us the hint of x(1+x)
I believe u= ln(x+x^2) and du=1+2x/x+x^2
I am not sure what dv should be
Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
klancello said:
Hello. I'm attempting to integrat ∫ln(x+x^2)dx
Our professor gave us the hint of x(1+x)
I believe u= ln(x+x^2) and du=1+2x/x+x^2
I am not sure what dv should be
Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

I would break your expression up a bit first into simpler things. What is the log of a product?

Though there may be more than one way.

i think this answer is:
1/4x(-x+2(x+2)lnx-4)+C

u=ln(x^2 + 1)-----)du=2x/(x^2+1)
v=x--------------)dv= dx.

note: der( u*v) = u dv+ v du.
and then Integrate both sides and you get :
uv= int(u dv)+ int (v du). Switch it around and you get int(u dv) =uv- int (v du)
So the integral is ln(x^2 + 1)*x- int(2x^2/x^2+1)
Next, integrate the last part. int(2x^2/(x^2+1)). Take the 2 out for a minute. Then add a one and subtract a one in the top. int(x^2+1-1)/(x^2+1). Separate them and the integral is int(1-1/(x^2+1)). That's x - tan inverse x. Put the 2 back in, and it's 2x-2 taninvers x.
Put them together and you will have ln(x^2 + 1)*x-2x+2 taninverse x+C.

Ouch! Where did [itex]ln(x^2+ 1)[/itex] come from? That is much harder than the given [itex]ln(x^2+ x)[/itex]

What epenguin was suggesting was that you use the fact that [itex]ln(x+ x^2)= ln(x(1+ x))= ln(x)+ ln(1+ x)[/itex].

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Simplifying Integration by Parts: Solving ∫ln(x+x^2)dx Using the Hint x(1+x)

What is Integration by Parts?

Integration by Parts is a mathematical technique used to evaluate integrals that involve products of functions. It is based on the Product Rule from Calculus, and is most commonly used when the integrand (the function being integrated) contains a product of two functions that are difficult to integrate separately.

How do I know when to use Integration by Parts?

You should use Integration by Parts when the integrand involves a product of two functions, and you are unable to integrate the individual functions separately. This technique is also helpful when the integrand contains a function and its derivative, or when the function is in the form of a product of powers or logarithms.

What is the formula for Integration by Parts?

The formula for Integration by Parts is ∫u dv = uv - ∫v du, where u and v are functions of x, and du and dv are their respective derivatives with respect to x. This formula is derived from the Product Rule, and is used to simplify the integration of products of functions.

What are the steps for using Integration by Parts?

The steps for using Integration by Parts are as follows:
1. Choose a u and dv in the original integral.
2. Calculate du and v by taking the derivatives and antiderivatives of u and dv, respectively.
3. Plug these values into the formula: ∫u dv = uv - ∫v du.
4. Evaluate the integral on the right side of the equation.
5. Repeat the process until the integral is solved or until you reach a simpler integral that you can solve using other techniques.

Are there any tricks or shortcuts for Integration by Parts?

While there are no specific tricks or shortcuts for Integration by Parts, there are some helpful tips to make the process easier:
- Choose u and dv strategically, typically choosing u as the more complicated function.
- Consider using Integration by Parts multiple times in a single integral.
- Remember to apply the Chain Rule when taking the derivative of u.
- Keep track of your substitutions and make sure to simplify your final answer.