1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simply supported beam

1. Dec 10, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Hello, I did the question but would like for someone to clarify if its right. The question states " 19 inches from one end" but I used the center deflection formula and Im not sure if its right.
    It is question 2 of the picture
    IMG_20141210_09375_edit_1418222343023.jpg

2. Relevant equations
    equation is in the picture
    3. The attempt at a solution
    My solution is in the picture

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 10, 2014 #2

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Unless 19 inches is half of 6 feet 4 inches, no, you did not use the correct formula to calculate the deflection of this beam. Why did you think they put that box with a different beam formula right under the title of the problem?

4. Dec 10, 2014 #3
    I thought so, since I used the maximum deflection one. I am having a little trouble understand the formulas for "deflection at anysection in terms of x"
    I think I am supposed to use y = Pbx / 6LEI ( L2-x2-b2 but I am not sure weather x is 19 and b is 57 or
    x is 57 and b is 19
    How would I know this?

5. Dec 10, 2014 #4

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Look at the diagram attached to the formula. That should tell you what to use for a and what to use for b. Notice that one distance is longer than the other.

6. Dec 10, 2014 #5
    okay, so If you look at the picture I used the first formula of the middle column where 0<x<a
    I made b = 19 and from the formula to calculate x I got 42.5
    My final answer is 2.289 lbs

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted