• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Simply supported beam

• Thread starter tsukuba
  • Start date

Homework Statement

Hello, I did the question but would like for someone to clarify if its right. The question states " 19 inches from one end" but I used the center deflection formula and Im not sure if its right.
It is question 2 of the picture
IMG_20141210_09375_edit_1418222343023.jpg

Homework Equations

equation is in the picture

The Attempt at a Solution

My solution is in the picture

Answers and Replies

SteamKing
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper

Homework Statement

Hello, I did the question but would like for someone to clarify if its right. The question states " 19 inches from one end" but I used the center deflection formula and Im not sure if its right.
It is question 2 of the picture
IMG_20141210_09375_edit_1418222343023.jpg

Homework Equations

equation is in the picture

The Attempt at a Solution

My solution is in the picture
Unless 19 inches is half of 6 feet 4 inches, no, you did not use the correct formula to calculate the deflection of this beam. Why did you think they put that box with a different beam formula right under the title of the problem?

I thought so, since I used the maximum deflection one. I am having a little trouble understand the formulas for "deflection at anysection in terms of x"
I think I am supposed to use y = Pbx / 6LEI ( L2-x2-b2 but I am not sure weather x is 19 and b is 57 or
x is 57 and b is 19
How would I know this?

SteamKing
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
I thought so, since I used the maximum deflection one. I am having a little trouble understand the formulas for "deflection at anysection in terms of x"
I think I am supposed to use y = Pbx / 6LEI ( L2-x2-b2 but I am not sure weather x is 19 and b is 57 or
x is 57 and b is 19
How would I know this?
Look at the diagram attached to the formula. That should tell you what to use for a and what to use for b. Notice that one distance is longer than the other.

okay, so If you look at the picture I used the first formula of the middle column where 0<x<a
I made b = 19 and from the formula to calculate x I got 42.5
My final answer is 2.289 lbs