Calculating Even N with Simpson's Rule

• Thread starter pari786
  • Start date
  • Tags
    even
In summary, Simpson's Rule is a mathematical method that uses a quadratic function to estimate the area under a curve by dividing it into smaller sections. It is more accurate than other numerical integration methods that use linear functions. It can be applied to any continuous function with a known derivative, and the number of sections used depends on the desired level of accuracy. The formula for calculating even N with Simpson's Rule involves the lower and upper limits of the integral, the number of subintervals, and the function being integrated.
pari786
why do we use n as even number with simpson's rule ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Thread moved to calculus homework. pari786 -- tell us what you know about Simpson's rule.

Simpson's rule approximates the curve by a series of parabolas each of which requires 3 points. Using one parabola would mean 3 points dividing the entire interval into 2 sub-intervals. Using 2 parabolas would mean 5 points they share one point), so 4 sub-intervals, etc.

What is Simpson's Rule for calculating even N?

Simpson's Rule is a mathematical method for approximating the area under a curve by dividing it into multiple smaller sections and using a quadratic function to estimate the area of each section. It is commonly used to calculate integrals when the function's derivative is not known.

How is Simpson's Rule different from other numerical integration methods?

Unlike other numerical integration methods, Simpson's Rule uses a quadratic function to estimate the area under a curve, which results in a more accurate approximation compared to methods that use linear functions.

Can Simpson's Rule be applied to all types of functions?

Simpson's Rule can be applied to any function that is continuous and has a known derivative. It is not limited to only even N, as it can also be used for odd N.

How many sections should be used when applying Simpson's Rule?

The number of sections, or subintervals, used in Simpson's Rule depends on the desired level of accuracy. Generally, the more sections that are used, the more accurate the approximation will be.

What is the formula for calculating even N with Simpson's Rule?

The formula for calculating even N with Simpson's Rule is:
ab f(x) dx ≈ (b-a)/3n [f(a)+2∑i=1n/2-1 f(a+2i(b-a)/n) + 4∑i=1n/2 f(a+(2i-1)(b-a)/n) + f(b)]
Where a and b are the lower and upper limits of the integral, n is the number of subintervals, and f(x) is the function being integrated.