Simultaneity between events in reference frames

In summary, if two events are simultaneous in one reference frame, they will not be simultaneous in a reference frame moving with a velocity v relative to the first frame. The time difference observed in the second frame can be calculated using the equation Delta t = Dv / (c^2 - v^2). Additionally, the time and distance between two events in the first frame can be observed as a time difference in the second frame using the equation Delta t = 1 / sqrt(1 - (v^2/c^2))(t' +/- D'v/c^2). This can be written as Delta t = D'v/c^2 when considering a clock at rest in the second frame.
PeroK
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
2023 Award
Hi,

I've been trying to understand the (lack of) simultaneity between events in reference frames moving wrt each other. I'd be grateful if someone could confirm that I've got things right:

If two events are simultaneous in one reference frame (S'), then they will not be simultaneous in a reference frame (S) moving with velocity v relative to S' if the events are separated by any distance (D' or D) in the direction of motion. In which case, an observer in S will observe a time difference of:

[itex]\Delta t = \frac{Dv}{(c^2 - v^2)} (*)[/itex]

And, if two events are separated by distance D' and time t' in S', then, as observed in S, they are separated by time:

[itex]\Delta t = \frac{1}{\sqrt{1-\frac{v^2}{c^2}}}(t' \pm \frac{D'v}{c^2})[/itex]

(*) The book I'm reading expressed this equation in terms of an observer in S reading the times off clocks synchronised in S' and getting:

[itex]\Delta t = \frac{D'v}{c^2}[/itex]

Which seems to me an odd way to express things and I think this confused me somewhat. Hopefully, I've now understood this simultaneity issue?

Physics news on Phys.org
PeroK said:
... And, if two events are separated by distance D' and time t' in S', then, as observed in S, they are separated by time:

[itex]\Delta t = \frac{1}{\sqrt{1-\frac{v^2}{c^2}}}(t' \pm \frac{D'v}{c^2})[/itex]

(*) The book I'm reading expressed this equation in terms of an observer in S reading the times off clocks synchronised in S' and getting:

[itex]\Delta t = \frac{D'v}{c^2}[/itex]

Which seems to me an odd way to express things and I think this confused me somewhat. Hopefully, I've now understood this simultaneity issue?

It is easier to start in reference frame S in which the rod of proper length ##D'## is moving with relative velocity v. We know that due to Length contraction the length of the rod in S is ##D =D'/\gamma##. Now we boost to S' (the frame in which the rod is at rest) and from the Lorentz transform the time interval is:

##\Delta t' = \gamma(\Delta t - D v /c^2) = \gamma(\Delta t - (D'/\gamma) v /c^2) ##

When measuring the length in S the measurements of the ends of the rod are made simultaneously so ##\Delta t = 0## and the above expression reduces to:

##\Delta t' = \gamma( - (D'/\gamma) v /c^2) = -D' v/c^2##

which is basically the expression in your textbook, other than they have ##\Delta t## rather than ##\Delta t'##. This is the amount the clock at the front of the rod is behind the clock at the rear of rod when viewed simultaneously in S. Note that I am using ##\Delta t'##which is the proper time shown by the clocks at rest with the rod.

It is a little confusing because we are talking about the difference between two clock readings as seen in S when those clocks are not at rest in S. Note that you said
(*) The book I'm reading expressed this equation in terms of an observer in S reading the times off clocks synchronised in S'
If an observer in S reads the times off clocks at rest in his reference frame, then the time interval is ##\Delta t## but if he is reading the times off clocks synchronised in S' and at rest in S' then the time interval is ##\Delta t'##.

Last edited:
Thanks, I've definitely got it now.

1. What is simultaneity between events in reference frames?

Simultaneity between events in reference frames refers to the concept that the timing of events can appear differently to observers in different frames of reference. This means that events that are simultaneous to one observer may not be simultaneous to another observer in a different frame of reference.

2. How does the theory of relativity explain simultaneity between events in reference frames?

The theory of relativity explains simultaneity between events in reference frames by stating that time and space are relative and can change depending on the observer's frame of reference. This means that the perception of simultaneity between events can differ for different observers.

3. Can two events be simultaneous in one frame of reference and not in another?

Yes, according to the theory of relativity, two events can be simultaneous in one frame of reference and not in another. This is because the perception of time and space can be different for different observers, leading to different conclusions about the simultaneity of events.

4. How does the speed of light affect simultaneity between events in reference frames?

The speed of light plays a crucial role in the theory of relativity and its explanation of simultaneity between events in reference frames. According to the theory, the speed of light is constant for all observers, regardless of their frame of reference. This leads to the concept of time dilation, where time appears to slow down for objects moving at high speeds, resulting in different perceptions of simultaneity between events.

5. Are there any real-life examples of simultaneity between events in reference frames?

Yes, there are several real-life examples of simultaneity between events in reference frames. One famous example is the Twin Paradox, where one twin travels at near the speed of light while the other stays on Earth. The traveling twin experiences time dilation, resulting in a different perception of time and simultaneity of events when they return to Earth, leading to the twins being different ages.