Do simultaneous equations always have a unique solution?

In summary, the system of equations given has a unique solution for all values of m except for when the determinant of the matrix of coefficients is zero. In this case, there will be either no solution or an infinite number of them. The use of row reduction echelon form can determine if the system has solutions or not.
chwala
Gold Member
Homework Statement
consider the following system of equations;
##x+2y+mz=0##
##x+3y-z=3##
##mx+8y+5z=6##
where ##m## is a scalar. For what values of m, does the system have a (i) unique solution (ii)many solutions (iii) no solution
Relevant Equations
simultaneous equations
...##2y-2z-2mz=6##
## 2y-2z-2mz= mx+8y+5z##
i then let,
##-2z-2mz=5z##
##m=-7/2##
##→2y=mx+8y##
##7x=12y##

Physics news on Phys.org
chwala said:
Problem Statement: consider the following system of equations;
##x+2y+mz=0##
##x+3y-z=3##
##mx+8y+5z=6##
where ##m## is a scalar. For what values of m, does the system have a (i) unique solution (ii)many solutions (iii) no solution
Relevant Equations: simultaneous equations

...##2y-2z-2mz=6##
## 2y-2z-2mz= mx+8y+5z##
i then let,
##-2z-2mz=5z##
##m=-7/2##
##→2y=mx+8y##
##7x=12y##
I think you're heading in the wrong direction.
Look at the system of equations as a matrix equation, ##A\vec x = \vec b##, where ##A = \begin{bmatrix} 1 & 2 & m \\ 1 & 3 & -1 \\ m & 8 & 5\end{bmatrix}##, ##\vec x = \begin{bmatrix} x \\ y \\ z \end{bmatrix}## and ##\vec b = \begin{bmatrix} 0 \\ 3 \\ 6 \end{bmatrix}##.

Finding the determinant of A will tell you a lot about whether the system has a unique solution or not.

Likes chwala
i am getting the equation ##3m^2-6m-13=0## giving ##m_1=-1.31## and ##m_2##=##3.31## since the matrix is non-singular, it follows that the system will have a unique solution. Conversely, if the system is singular then no solution exists. can we use the row reduction echelon form to determine the solutions? am i supposed to think of 'rank' and dimension here? long since i read this...

Last edited:
chwala said:
i am getting the equation ##3m^2-6m-13=0##
For the determinant, I get ##3m^2 + 6m + 13##. I've checked my work twice, so am pretty sure of it.

Edit: Despite checking my work, I still missed a sign error.
chwala said:
giving ##m_1=-1.31## and ##m_2##=##3.31## since the matrix is non-singular, it follows that the system will have a unique solution. Conversely, if the system is singular then no solution exists. can we use the row reduction echelon form to determine the solutions? am i supposed to think of 'rank' and dimension here? long since i read this...

Last edited:
Mark44 said:
For the determinant, I get ##3m^2 + 6m + 13##. I've checked my work twice, so am pretty sure of it.

Your characteristic equation is not correct. Did you consider the + and - place values for the 3 by 3 matrix before coming up with the equation?

I let Maple calculate the determinant and I'm agreeing with Chwala.

chwala said:
i am getting the equation ##3m^2-6m-13=0##
Apologies, the equation above is correct -- I misread a sign.
chwala said:
giving ##m_1=-1.31## and ##m_2##=##3.31## since the matrix is non-singular, it follows that the system will have a unique solution. Conversely, if the system is singular then no solution exists.
If the determinant is zero, the matrix is singular, so there will be either no solution or an infinite number of them. In this case, because the column of constants is nonzero, there won't be any solutions when the determinant is zero.

If the determinant is nonzero, there will be a unique solution for each value of m for which ##3m^2 - 6m - 13 \ne 0##
chwala said:
can we use the row reduction echelon form to determine the solutions? am i supposed to think of 'rank' and dimension here? long since i read this...
The problem doesn't ask for solutions -- just whether there are solutions.

Mark44 said:
In this case, because the column of constants is nonzero, there won't be any solutions when the determinant is zero.
A non-zero column of constants doesn't necessarily mean there will be no solutions. For example, the system
\begin{align*}
x+y &= 1 \\
y + z &= 2 \\
x + 2y + z &= 3
\end{align*} has an infinite number of solutions.

Row-reducing the augmented matrix can show you if the system has solutions or not.

Likes chwala
vela said:
A non-zero column of constants doesn't necessarily mean there will be no solutions. For example, the system
\begin{align*}
x+y &= 1 \\
y + z &= 2 \\
x + 2y + z &= 3
\end{align*} has an infinite number of solutions.
By "in this case" I meant when the determinant is zero. If the determinant of the matrix of coefficients is zero, but the column of constants in the augmented matrix is nonzero, there won't be any solutions.

Edit based on @vela's reply in post 10 -- I stand corrected.

Last edited:
Mark44 said:
By "in this case" I meant when the determinant is zero. If the determinant of the matrix of coefficients is zero, but the column of constants in the augmented matrix is nonzero, there won't be any solutions.
For the example I gave in my previous post, we have
$$A = \begin{pmatrix} 1 & 1 & 0 \\ 0 & 1 & 1 \\ 1 & 2 & 1 \end{pmatrix}\text{ and }\vec b = \begin{pmatrix} 1 \\ 2 \\ 3 \end{pmatrix}.$$ The third row of ##A## is the sum of the first two rows, so we have ##\det(A) = 0##. According to your statement, this system has no solution because ##\vec b \ne 0##. But ##(x,y,z)= (1,0,2)## is a solution.

vela said:
For the example I gave in my previous post, we have
$$A = \begin{pmatrix} 1 & 1 & 0 \\ 0 & 1 & 1 \\ 1 & 2 & 1 \end{pmatrix}\text{ and }\vec b = \begin{pmatrix} 1 \\ 2 \\ 3 \end{pmatrix}.$$ The third row of ##A## is the sum of the first two rows, so we have ##\det(A) = 0##. According to your statement, this system has no solution because ##\vec b \ne 0##. But ##(x,y,z)= (1,0,2)## is a solution.
I take back my earlier remark... Thanks for the correction.

1. What is a simultaneous equation?

A simultaneous equation is a set of two or more equations that contain multiple variables and must be solved at the same time. The goal is to find the values of the variables that satisfy all of the equations at once.

2. How can you determine if a simultaneous equation has a unique solution?

A simultaneous equation has a unique solution if the number of equations is equal to the number of variables and the equations are independent. This means that each equation contains at least one variable that is not present in any other equation. The solution can be found by solving for each variable one at a time.

3. Can a simultaneous equation have many solutions?

Yes, a simultaneous equation can have many solutions if the number of equations is less than the number of variables and the equations are dependent. This means that at least one variable can be expressed in terms of the other variables. In this case, there are infinite solutions that satisfy the equations.

4. How do you know if a simultaneous equation has no solution?

A simultaneous equation has no solution if the equations are inconsistent, meaning that they contradict each other. This can happen if the equations are parallel lines or if they have no intersection point. In this case, there is no set of values that can satisfy all of the equations at once.

5. What are some methods for solving simultaneous equations?

There are several methods for solving simultaneous equations, including substitution, elimination, and graphing. These methods involve manipulating the equations to eliminate one variable and solve for the remaining variables. Other methods, such as matrix operations and Cramer's rule, can also be used for solving simultaneous equations.