What are the steps to solving simultaneous equations using substitution?

In summary, when finding the intersection points of the given lines, we can use substitution to eliminate one variable and solve the resulting quadratic equation. However, it is important to double check our work and make sure we are using the correct coefficients when applying the quadratic formula. In this case, the correct intersection points are (-1,-1) and (0,-0.5).
blackfriars
hi could anyone help with this one as i do not know the steps to take . as far as i know you can only use substitution
4y^2-3x^2=1
x-2y=1

Mathematics news on Phys.org
4y^2-3x^2=1
x-2y=1

line intersecting a hyperbola ...

$x = 2y+1 \implies 4y^2 - 3(2y+1)^2 = 1$

can you solve the resulting quadratic in $y$?

hi skeeter, thanks for the reply i have used desmos and geo gebra and the intersection points ere (-1,-1)and (0,-0.5)
now i was able to get the (-1,-1) but for the quadratic i was getting (-1/2,-3/4)
this is what i did

-8y^2-12y-4=0
----------------------

2y^2+3y+1=0

using the formula a=2,b=3,c=-4
the intersections i should have got were (-1,-1) and (0,-0.5)
hope you can help to show where i went wrong thanks

Let's start where skeeter left off:

\(\displaystyle 4y^2-3(2y+1)^2=1\)

Expand squared binomial:

\(\displaystyle 4y^2-3\left(4y^2+4y+1\right)=1\)

Distribute the -3:

\(\displaystyle 4y^2-12y^2-12y-3=1\)

Collect like terms:

\(\displaystyle -8y^2-12y-4=0\)

Divide through by -4:

\(\displaystyle 2y^2+3y+1=0\)

This is what you have, but when you went to apply the quadratic formula, you used $c=-4$ instead of $c=1$.

Factor:

\(\displaystyle (2y+1)(y+1)=0\)

Hence:

\(\displaystyle y\in\left\{-1,-\frac{1}{2}\right\}\)

Now with $x=2y+1$, this gives us the solutions:

\(\displaystyle (x,y)=(-1,-1),\,\left(0,-\frac{1}{2}\right)\)

1. What are simultaneous equations?

Simultaneous equations are a set of two or more equations that contain more than one variable and must be solved at the same time. The solution to simultaneous equations is the values of the variables that satisfy all of the equations.

2. How are simultaneous equations solved?

There are several methods for solving simultaneous equations, including substitution, elimination, and graphing. These methods involve manipulating the equations to isolate one variable and then using that value to solve for the other variables.

3. Why are simultaneous equations important in science?

Simultaneous equations are important in science because they can be used to model and solve real-world problems. They allow scientists to determine the relationships between variables and make predictions about the outcomes of experiments or systems.

4. Can simultaneous equations have more than two variables?

Yes, simultaneous equations can have any number of variables. However, the number of equations must also match the number of variables in order to have a unique solution. Otherwise, the system of equations is considered overdetermined or underdetermined.

5. What is the difference between dependent and independent variables in simultaneous equations?

In simultaneous equations, dependent variables are the variables that are affected by other variables and have their values determined by the equations. Independent variables, on the other hand, are not affected by other variables and their values are given or can be freely chosen.