SIN contest Tension and Acceleration question

In summary, the problem is that Joe needs to provide a force to move both people. The solution is to apply just enough force to give Brian the same acceleration as Joe.
fchen720

Homework Statement

The problem and solution are attached, but I don't think the solution is correct.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The only thing I don't understand is why Joe needs to supply the force to move both people.
It seems to me that gravity is providing the force to move John, and Joe is simply applying just enough force to give Brian the same acceleration as Joe. So P = (60)(0.75g)

Even if Joe doesn't apply any force at all, Brian could continuously pull down on the rope with F=60g and keep himself from falling. And John would accelerate without Joe applying any force at all.

Am I correct?
Thank you for reading.

Attachments

• pg1.jpg
    pg1.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 429
  • pg2.pdf
    507.7 KB · Views: 276
Physics news on Phys.org
fchen720 said:
Even if Joe doesn't apply any force at all, Brian could continuously pull down on the rope with F=60g and keep himself from falling. And John would accelerate without Joe applying any force at all.

But wouldn't that cause John to slip on the surface of the block which violates the conditions of the problem?

Ok, but I don't understand why the solution has p = (60 + 80)a when gravity is responsible for the movement of John and the force is only applied to Brian. Shouldn't it be p = 60a?

Since John and Brian remain at rest with respect to the block, the system acts as one object with total mass equal to the sum of the masses of John and Brian. So, the "inertia" that must be overcome by Joe's force is the total inertia in the system (i.e., the total mass of the system).

You are correct that the tension in the string provides the necessary force to accelerate John. But the string goes around the pulley and the string exerts both a vertical and horizontal component of force on the pulley-block system. These tension forces are indicated in blue in the attachment. Also, there is a horizontal normal force acting on Brian and an equal reaction force acting back on the block (shown in green). So, the the block experiences two horizontal forces to the left which are indicated by the brown arrows. Since the block is massless, the net force on the block must be zero (otherwise it would have infinite acceleration!). So, Joe must provide a horizontal force to the right equal to the sum of the tension force and the normal force on Brian. Can you see that these two force have magnitudes of mjohna and mbriana, respectively?

Attachments

• Block problem.jpg
    Block problem.jpg
    12.5 KB · Views: 340
Sorry for being slow but I don't quite understand.
Why is the left pointing blue force acting on the massless block?
It seems to me that the left pointing green reaction force is the only force acting directly on the block, and the horizontal force acting on Brian F=60A equals the reaction force, so shouldn't the reaction force also be 60A?

fchen720 said:
Why is the left pointing blue force acting on the massless block?

Consider the section of the string that at some moment is in contact with the pulley as shown. We have one of those "massless" strings found only in physics problems! So, the net force on the section of string must be zero. The forces on the segment are the tension forces at each end and the normal force on the rope segment coming from the pulley. This force is labeled ##F_{Nrope}##. The rope exerts an equal but opposite force back on the pulley: ##F_{Npulley}##

So we must have

##\vec{T}_1 + \vec{T}_2 + \vec{F}_{Nrope} = 0##

Hence ##\vec{T}_1 + \vec{T}_2 - \vec{F}_{Npulley} = 0##

So, ## \vec{F}_{Npulley} = \vec{T}_1 + \vec{T}_2 ##

This shows that the rope exerts a force on the pulley-block system that is equivalent to the two tension forces. So Joe will need to exert a force that will balance out both ##\vec{T}_1## and the normal force from Brian.

Attachments

• pulley and rope.jpg
    pulley and rope.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 386
Thank you so much TSny, I understand now!

What is the "SIN contest Tension and Acceleration question"?

The "SIN contest Tension and Acceleration question" is a physics problem that involves calculating the tension and acceleration of an object given its mass and the forces acting upon it.

What are the key concepts involved in solving this question?

The key concepts involved in solving this question are Newton's laws of motion, specifically the second law which states that the net force on an object is equal to its mass multiplied by its acceleration. Additionally, the concept of tension, which is the pulling force exerted by a string or rope, is also important in this question.

How do I approach solving this question?

To solve this question, you will first need to draw a free body diagram of the object, identifying all the forces acting upon it. Then, use Newton's second law to set up an equation with the given variables and solve for the unknowns. It is also important to pay attention to the direction of the forces and use appropriate signs in your equations.

What are the units of measurement used in this question?

The units of measurement used in this question will depend on the given values. Mass is typically measured in kilograms (kg) and acceleration in meters per second squared (m/s²). Tension can be measured in Newtons (N) or pounds (lbs) depending on the unit system being used.

Are there any common mistakes to avoid when solving this question?

One common mistake when solving this question is forgetting to account for the direction of the forces. It is important to use the correct signs for each force in your equations. Another mistake is not properly isolating the unknown variable, which can lead to incorrect solutions. It is also important to double check your math and units to ensure an accurate answer.