1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sin,cos problems

1. May 12, 2004 #1
    I'm doing a review for my math class and came upon some that I cannot figure out.I don't know why I cannot get the right answer. I know all the rules, I've had tests on this stuff and received A's but these are different for some reason and I don't know why. If anyone can do even one of them I would so greatly appreciate it! my exam is tomarrow :cry: thanks

let sin(x)=5/13, cos(x)=12/13, sin(y)=4/5 and y is in Quadrant II and 0<or=to x <2pi

81. sin(x-y)=____

83. sin 2x =___

84. sin x/2 =___

now the rules above don't apply to these below

85. sin(pheta)=2/3 and 0<pheta<90 then cos2(pheta)=___

86.sin(2cos^-1(1/4))=___

2. jcsd
  3. May 13, 2004 #2

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Determine the cosine value of y:
    You are given that y is in Quadrant 2, which means that the cosine value of y is negative (Agreed?)

In order to determine the cosine value of y, use the fundamental identity:
    [tex] \cos^{2}y+\sin^{2}y=1.[/tex]
    Knowing that the cosine value has to be negative, you should be able to figure out the answer.
    2. 81,82,83:
    Knowing the summation, double angle, half-angle formulae for the trigonometric functions should now give you the answers.
    85:
    [tex] \sin^{2}\theta=\frac{1-\cos(2\theta)}{2}[/tex]
    4.86:
    [tex]
    \sin(2\phi)=2\sin\phi\cos\phi, \sin\phi=\pm\sqrt{1-\cos^{2}\phi}[/tex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?