How wide is a single slit that gives its first minimum at 90°?

In summary: Thanks for your time.In summary, the width of the slit is given by øp=p(λ/a) where λ is the wavelength of light and a is the slit's width in meters.
jmacmartin

Homework Statement

How wide is a single slit that gives its first minimum at 90°?

Homework Equations

øp=p(λ/a)

The Attempt at a Solution

Not quite sure what the answer is looking for but I'd guess I would need to solve for "a." So...

90°=(λ/a)

Is there any more information I can gather from this problem? Any guidance would be a big help.

Thanks guys!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello JMM and welcome to PF,

The answer isn't looking for anything. You've given a problem statement, but suppose I didn't know any of the symbols appearing in your equation; then: how could I help you ?

Do you know what the answer is to "How wide is a single slit that gives its first minimum at 30°?" or 45 or 60 ? Can you express that in a formula ? Then moving on to 90 shouldn't be too dificult, right ? Or... ?

Hi BvU,

I do not know the answer to that question. No matter the angle, I'm not quite sure how to express it in a formula. I apologize if I have not asked my question in the proper form for this website.

I know the equation øp=p(λ/a) will tell me where the dark bands are on the screen. I assume øp = 90 since that is given. I do not know λ. It appears I need to solve for a, which is the width of the slit.

Last edited:
Let me rephrase:
What is ø and what are the units ?
What is p and what are the units ?
What is λ (ok, the wavelength in m)
What is a and what are the units ? Ah we know now: the width of the slit. Also in m.

Your expression doesn't look like what I see coming by when I simply google the title of this post. So it comes from your book or your notes, right ? What is it based on ?
(Note that in many treatments a small-angle approach is used, where ##\sin\theta=\tan\theta=\theta##. This is something you can't have in this exercise!)

In an exercise like this, it is OK to express the answer in units of λ .

Oh, and:
I know the equation øp=p(λ/a) will tell me where the dark bands are on the screen
makes me wonder where in the equation the multiplicity ("dark bands") appears?

Sorry to waste your time with stupid questions. I will seek help elsewhere.

I'm fully prepared to provide the best possible assistance. But your cooperation is indispensible.

1. How is the width of a single slit related to the angle of the first minimum?

The width of a single slit is directly related to the angle of the first minimum. As the width of the slit decreases, the angle of the first minimum increases. This relationship can be expressed by the equation sinθ = λ/w, where θ is the angle of the first minimum, λ is the wavelength of the light, and w is the width of the slit.

2. What is the significance of the first minimum in a single slit diffraction pattern?

The first minimum in a single slit diffraction pattern marks the point where the diffracted light is at its weakest intensity. It occurs when the light waves from different parts of the slit interfere destructively, canceling each other out.

3. How can the width of a single slit be determined experimentally?

The width of a single slit can be determined experimentally by measuring the angle of the first minimum in a diffraction pattern and using the equation sinθ = λ/w. By rearranging the equation, the width of the slit can be calculated as w = λ/sinθ. This method assumes that the wavelength of the light is known.

4. Does the width of a single slit affect the position of the first minimum in a diffraction pattern?

Yes, the width of a single slit does affect the position of the first minimum in a diffraction pattern. As mentioned earlier, as the width of the slit decreases, the angle of the first minimum increases. This means that the position of the first minimum will also shift to a higher angle.

5. Can the width of a single slit be adjusted to control the diffraction pattern?

Yes, the width of a single slit can be adjusted to control the diffraction pattern. By changing the width of the slit, the angle of the first minimum will also change, resulting in a different diffraction pattern. This property is often utilized in experiments and applications that involve controlling the diffraction of light.